Ratchet spanners

Has anyone seen a ratchet spanner with the ratchet on an *open* end of a spanner (rather than the box end which is common)?

I have just the job for a 22 mm version...if it exists!

Michael Koblic, Campbell River, BC

Reply to
mkoblic

I've seen one that was supposed to grab in only one direction because of some curved surfaces on one(?) side of the jaw. I never tried it and don't remember any link to it.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Found it!

But not 22mm:

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

These do?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Over the years, I've seen numerous as-seen-on-TV-magic wrenches that have some notches in the open end pocket, which allow a return swing to work without sliding or lifting the wrench pocket from the hex fastener (flip over to apply force the other way), so this design kinda works like a ratcheting open-end wrench.

So, modifying/grinding a common open-end wrench (possibly copying one of the types mentioned) might yield a useable 22mm if the fastener torque is reasonable.

I recently saw a cheap set similar to that style, with a slightly different gimmic.. which fit both metric and SAE sizes. They do work, although they're sorta light-duty.. good enuff for bicycle or car trunk toolkit. The open ends have 7 notches plus a partial notch. The box ends are normal-looking 12 point.

They are "Jobsmart" brand from a TSC Tractor Supply Co store.

8-piece Multi-Drive Combination Wrench Set fits 40 sizes, including square and external torx. 5/16"/8mm to 3/4"/19mm hex sizes.
Reply to
Wild_Bill

Winston wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com:

The problem with this approach (and some of the others mentioned) is that it ratchets on the nut. Eventually, it's going to round over the nut. OK for a 1 shot deal, but not for regular use on the same nut.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Long before the nut is unservicable, the machine will be in the scrap heap for other reasons. ( Any design that has 'insufficient tool clearance' for often - accessed fasteners is likely to have additional design flaws that will limit the life of the machine, generally speaking.)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

It looks like most sets only go up to 19mm. If you have a full 1/6 swing on the wrench, these will work for you.

-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I like the inch and a half diameter universal socket wrench I often see advertised - a half inch square drive tube filled with ~1/8 inch diameter rods (I never examined one closely enough to determine what holds them in place, or allows them to grip a nut). Try pulling the plugs out of a Chrysler 225 slant six with one of these! Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Thank you and all the others. I love this group! I am glad that I was not crazy and that such things actually exist. Today I saw one like the Toptul AEAT in our local Lordco. They did not have 22 mm and would order one - for $76!!!

I think in the end I shall manage with what I got but I shall keep my options open - now that I know there are some.

BTW someone suggested a crow's foot wrench but I don't think it would work.

Michael Koblic, Campbell River, BC

Reply to
mkoblic

(...)

Compared to $13. that isn't much of a bargain:

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I don't think they make a 22mm line wrench, but you could look. They're used for brake and hydraulic lines.

's style, half Lordco's price.

-- ...in order that a man may be happy, it is necessary that he should not only be capable of his work, but a good judge of his work. -- John Ruskin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I've got some floppy jaw wrenches I use once in a while in tight quarters where I can't get an open end wrench. I don't think mine would handle 22mm, but there might be a bigger one around. Heck, might be able to do it with a sink basin wrench if you don't mind roughing up the fastener a little.

Reply to
Bob La Londe