Rob Stewart on model trains

Assuming he did the majority work... anyway his name was mentioned. I'm getting the feeling you never read the article.

I doubt they'll see any significant increase in sales or they would have increased the print run.

You come across as just another sad, grumpy old fart.

Reply to
None

Funny you should mention that....

I usta race SCCA stuff back in the day.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

-> Meanwhile, this thread reminds me ---

-> I'm more interested in sports car racing.

-> And I do like the older ones also.

- Funny you should mention that....

- I usta race SCCA stuff back in the day. ~Pete

Cool Cobra! The 'Real Deal'. Wish you still had it? I wish I'd kept every car I had! I started in FV in the 60's. Out, then back in with small SRs. Out then back in with production based. Lately all Sports Racers again!

(Before the FV I did slot cars, and interested in scenery, and that's the start of some interest in model trains.)

Reply to
a425couple

Well sure, but now they're worth so much that I'd almost be afraid to drive it!

Heh!

I started out in my own HP Sprite, then went to FV, then to production cars, and then decided that dirt bikes were more fun and a

*lot* cheaper!

Accumulated the usual series of broken bones common to most dirt bike riders and gave that up in my mid-50s in favor of street-legal sport bikes.

Added a few more broken bones to the collection in that mode, and retired as a track instructor for the Motorcycle Safety Institute three years ago at the age of 63.

Now it's just sport-touring street bikes and model railroading. Here's my most recent solution for the idiots who like to tailgate bikers:

Know anybody looking for a job as a tail-gunner?

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

Actually, I think it would be more along the lines of contracting with a programmer to write a program for your business, which program you then own under "work for hire" statutes. The entire business world is saturated with patents and copyrights created by workers but which become the property of the corporation.

Reply to
Rick Jones

First of all, I don't believe you have any grounds on which to say he paid others to build the entire layout for him. No grounds whatsoever. In the article in MR a few years back he clearly explained how he took trunks full of building supplies and tools with him on tour and worked on them in his suite between shows. Second, he did pay to have *some* work done on his layout, but I see

*no* difference between that and the modelers like Bruce Chubb and Tony Koester who have a few or a dozen or more helpers working on their layouts. Under your hypothesis neither Chubb nor Koester qualifies as a modeler. Paid help or free help is all the same.
Reply to
Rick Jones

I moved. It didn't. Well it did, it went into the dumpster.

Reply to
Roger Traviss

You come across as just another sad, grumpy old fart.

-------------------------------------

I'm not sad nor that old.

Reply to
Roger Traviss

Oh dear, I bought a R-T-R loco in 2007.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

That comment wasn't directed at modeling, it was directed at you.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Hee Hee, noting you are not disagreeing with "grumpy fart".

I'd be grumpy also if I had to give up on that big and major a labor of love.

Reply to
a425couple

-> Cool Cobra! The 'Real Deal'.

-> Wish you still had it?

-Well sure, but now they're worth so much that I'd almost be afraid to

-drive it!

-> I wish I'd kept every car I had!

-> I started in FV in the 60's.

-Heh!

- I started out in my own HP Sprite, then went to FV, then to

-production cars, and then decided that dirt bikes were more fun and a

-*lot* cheaper!

Well, dollars for metal etc. yes, but I bet the average car racer's medical bills have been less!

Good for you. Sorry except for a time back in college, it just seems to me that motorcycles regularly have harsher odds ----

-Now it's just sport-touring street bikes and model railroading.

-Here's my most recent solution for the idiots who like to tailgate

-bikers:

anybody looking for a job as a tail-gunner? ~Pete Ahhh, but doesn't that kinda decrease your gas millage?

Take care, keep having fun.

Reply to
a425couple

Shrug. I never really expected to get to 30, much less my mid 60s.

I figure every new day is a bonus.

Plays merry hell on the clutch, too.

Reply to
Twibil

Yes, it's funny so many contemporaries went before me and I'm still here. I don't know how I got through the sixties and seventies between the VC rockets, drugs, motorcycle crashes, and other assorted risk takings. Now I find myself just another kindly old grandfather. Go figure.

Reply to
None

Pretty much the same here -except that I'm neither a grandfather nor all that kindly. }:^P

Reply to
Twibil