Rob Stewart on model trains

-> Meanwhile, this thread reminds me --- -> I'm more interested in sports car racing. -> And I do like the older ones also.
- Funny you should mention that.... - I usta race SCCA stuff back in the day. ~Pete
Cool Cobra! The 'Real Deal'. Wish you still had it? I wish I'd kept every car I had! I started in FV in the 60's. Out, then back in with small SRs. Out then back in with production based. Lately all Sports Racers again!
(Before the FV I did slot cars, and interested in scenery, and that's the start of some interest in model trains.)

Well sure, but now they're worth so much that I'd almost be afraid to drive it!

Heh!
I started out in my own HP Sprite, then went to FV, then to production cars, and then decided that dirt bikes were more fun and a *lot* cheaper!
Accumulated the usual series of broken bones common to most dirt bike riders and gave that up in my mid-50s in favor of street-legal sport bikes.
Added a few more broken bones to the collection in that mode, and retired as a track instructor for the Motorcycle Safety Institute three years ago at the age of 63.
Now it's just sport-touring street bikes and model railroading. Here's my most recent solution for the idiots who like to tailgate bikers:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/5135056430/#/photos/33885727@N03/5135056430/lightbox /
Know anybody looking for a job as a tail-gunner?
~Pete
-> Cool Cobra! The 'Real Deal'. -> Wish you still had it? -Well sure, but now they're worth so much that I'd almost be afraid to -drive it! -> I wish I'd kept every car I had! -> I started in FV in the 60's. -Heh! - I started out in my own HP Sprite, then went to FV, then to -production cars, and then decided that dirt bikes were more fun and a -*lot* cheaper!
Well, dollars for metal etc. yes, but I bet the average car racer's medical bills have been less!
-Accumulated the usual series of broken bones common -to most dirt bike riders and gave that up in my mid-50s -in favor of street-legal sport bikes. -Added a few more broken bones to the collection in that mode, and -retired as a track instructor for the Motorcycle Safety Institute -three years ago at the age of 63.
Good for you. Sorry except for a time back in college, it just seems to me that motorcycles regularly have harsher odds ----
-Now it's just sport-touring street bikes and model railroading. -Here's my most recent solution for the idiots who like to tailgate -bikers: http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/5135056430/#/photos/33885727@N03/5135056430/lightbox / -Know anybody looking for a job as a tail-gunner? ~Pete Ahhh, but doesn't that kinda decrease your gas millage?
Take care, keep having fun.

Shrug. I never really expected to get to 30, much less my mid 60s.
I figure every new day is a bonus.

Plays merry hell on the clutch, too.

Yes, it's funny so many contemporaries went before me and I'm still here. I don't know how I got through the sixties and seventies between the VC rockets, drugs, motorcycle crashes, and other assorted risk takings. Now I find myself just another kindly old grandfather. Go figure.

Pretty much the same here -except that I'm neither a grandfather nor all that kindly. }:^P

I moved. It didn't. Well it did, it went into the dumpster.
--
Roger Traviss

Photos of the late GER: -
On 02/11/2010 00:32, Doug Wickstrm wrote:

There are many, many layouts that would not exist if it weren't for the owner's friends helping out.

No, I'm afraid Roger is a "real modeller" snob. He's done very good work, as one can see from the photos on his website, but, like a surprising number of others, he divides the hobby into "real" railway modellers and the rest of us. That's his problem, not yours.
wolf k.
On 11/1/2010 11:32 PM, Doug Wickstrm wrote:

Actually, I think it would be more along the lines of contracting with a programmer to write a program for your business, which program you then own under "work for hire" statutes. The entire business world is saturated with patents and copyrights created by workers but which become the property of the corporation.
--

Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me

Assuming he did the majority work... anyway his name was mentioned. I'm getting the feeling you never read the article.

I doubt they'll see any significant increase in sales or they would have increased the print run.
You come across as just another sad, grumpy old fart.
You come across as just another sad, grumpy old fart.
-------------------------------------
I'm not sad nor that old.
--
Roger Traviss

Photos of the late GER: -

Hee Hee, noting you are not disagreeing with "grumpy fart".
I'd be grumpy also if I had to give up on that big and major a labor of love.

On 11/1/2010 11:10 PM, Roger Traviss wrote:

First of all, I don't believe you have any grounds on which to say he paid others to build the entire layout for him. No grounds whatsoever. In the article in MR a few years back he clearly explained how he took trunks full of building supplies and tools with him on tour and worked on them in his suite between shows. Second, he did pay to have *some* work done on his layout, but I see *no* difference between that and the modelers like Bruce Chubb and Tony Koester who have a few or a dozen or more helpers working on their layouts. Under your hypothesis neither Chubb nor Koester qualifies as a modeler. Paid help or free help is all the same.
--

Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me
On Mon, 1 Nov 2010 21:10:28 -0700, "Roger Traviss"

Oh dear, I bought a R-T-R loco in 2007.

I'm a professional musician Roger. Have been for almost 50 years now. And during that time I've known -and worked with- a number of celebrities/performers.
As a result, I'm hardly what you'd call "star smitten". More like "realistic", as some of them are egotistical idiots, some are salt-of- the-Earth types, and most fall somewhere in-between; much like any other hetrogeneous group of people you can name.
How you came to the assumption that anyone who points out your arrogance must be "living in a star smitten universe where celebrities can do no wrong" is frankly beyond me, but there's an assumption in your statement that hiring someone to work on your railroad is "doing something wrong", and that's frankly asinine, as a look into any issue of Model Railroader will reveal several companies that exist to do exactly that: design/build layouts for people who simply don't have the time to do it themselves.
As attitude adjustment on your part would seem to be in order.