Rocker Rod Stewart 'outed' as a model RR fanatic

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_idH9555&in_page_id 73 (shortcut URL: http://tinyurl.com/yptrf8 )
Has pic of his HO layout and Model Railroader cover featuring his layout, as well as his latest "model" - wife Penny Lancaster.
This is hardly news. When I was working at the Red Caboose in NYC back in 1991, Rod came in to the store with his wife Rachel Hunter.
I was far more interested in her.
On Oct 25, 2:35 am, wcol snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

It's been known amongst other modellers for decades. He is quoted as saying he'd rather be on the cover of Railway Modeller (the British mag) than Rolling Stone. I guess Model Railroader is equivalent.
Cheers David
Brits may remember he's talked about his models on Parkinson.
Cheers David
David Bromage wrote:

And so it's back to Rachel Hunter then?
Rob.
On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 21:14:31 +1100, David Bromage wrote:

Sounds pretty shaky to me.
--
Steve

Where was he quoted saying that?
Mark Mathu wrote:

The article in MR. The specific quote, in a sidebar to the main article, says, "I'm proud to be a model railroader. It means more to me to be on the cover of Model Railroader than to be on the cover of a music magazine."
--

Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me

"I wish I was on the cover of Lionel Trains magazine." - Neil Young, to a Rolling Stone magazine photographer http://www.rollingstone.com/artists/neilyoung/articles/story/6478104/neil_young
I looked at this - way cool. It also came up in this informal e-mail group i belong to since it's on the cover of the magazine. I also saw this somewhere else but i forgot where. I was more interested in the bigger list of model railroaders! I remember seeing Neil Young on Leno. Leno had a Lionel layout behind the poinsettias on the stage! Way cool... All Neil Young wanted to talk about was the trains so he had stage hands clear the plants to see them!..
Famous Model Railroaders:
Tim Allen (comedian) Gene Autry ("The Singing Cowboy") Roseanne Barr (actor) Tom Brokow (newscaster) Yul Brynner (actor "The King and I") Johnny Cash (country music singer) Winston Churchill (former British Prime Minister) Gary Coleman (actor "Diff'rent Strokes") Phil Collins (rock singer) Kevin Costner (actor) Richard Crenna (actor) Walter Cronkite (radio/TV personality) Roger Daltry (lead singer of the Who/actor) Joe DiMaggio (baseball player) Walt Disney (producer) James Doohan (actor "Star Trek") Donald Duck (in the cartoon short "Not To Scale" - fictional character) Erik Estrada ("CHiPs") Harrison Ford ("Star Wars" "Indiana Jones") Arthur Godfrey (radio/TV personality) Whoopi Goldberg (actor) Hermann Gring (head of German Luftwaffe) Merle Haggard (country singer) Tom Hanks (actor) - Appeared on "Family Ties" episodes David Hasselhoff (actor "Baywatch") - Starred with MG in Avalanche Elton John (rock singer) Michael Jordan (basketball player) Captain Kangaroo (kids' show host) Christopher Lee (actor "Dracula") Jay Leno (TV talk show host) Jack Lord (actor "Hawaii Five-O") Reverend Lovejoy ("The Simpsons" - fictional character) Roger Miller (country singer) Mandy Patinkin (actor "Chicago Hope", "The Princess Bride") John Patterson "Dad" ("For Better Or For Worse" - fictional character) John Pertwee (actor "Doctor Who") Sally Jesse Raphael (TV talk show host) Lionel Ritchie (singer) Roy Rogers Rick Schroder (actor "Silver Spoons", "NYPD Blue") Frank Sinatra (singer) Bruce Springsteen (rock singer) Jill St. John (actor "Diamonds Are Forever") Sylvester Stallone (actor "Rocky" "Rambo") Patrick Stewart (actor "Star Trek: The Next Generation") Rod Stewart (rock singer) Donald Sutherland (actor) Mel Torme (singer) Neil Young (singer, also a part-owner of Lionel)

Add Groucho Marx.
wrote

Don't forget me, The Great Puckdropper. I'm not famous, but that's because I keep a low profile. lol :-)
Puckdropper

wrote

You're just not famous...YET!
dlm

But I can post messages on USENET!!! I must be famous!
;-)
Puckdropper

So you're Bobby Orr's butter-fingered son?
The one he doesn't talk about?
Pete

"I would belong to no [model train] club that would have me as a member." - Groucho Marx

Who was the famous general who was also a model railroader? Was it MacArthur? Somewhere I vaguely remember reading that he either built a layout or had a layout built while he was in Japan after the war. Maybe that's how the entire brass locomotive market got started??!?
dlm

And don't forget Hermann Gring, rumoured to have constructed an extensive Marklin layout.
Cheers, Martyn

(snip)
(snip)
Would that by any chance be the same Hermann Goring listed above, right between Whoopi Goldberg and Merle Haggard?
Pete
wrote

extensive
Aha, yes it would. Well done you passed the test.
/hangs head sheepishly and wanders off . . . .
Cheers, Martyn