Rocker Rod Stewart 'outed' as a model RR fanatic

"M Roberts" wrote

Could be worse. My dad always claimed that if he hadn't made a mistake I wouldn't be here.

Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

The "Addam's Family" was it! I never saw a cartoon version.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Gomez Addams! Obviously you wasted more of your youth in front of TV than I did ;-)

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

There's quite a few there that I haven't seen on previous lists of this sort that have been posted here in years past. Some of those I wonder about - Whoopi Goldberg? Roseanne Barr? Sally Jesse Raphael? Jay Leno (I know he's real big into collecting cars, the full size variety)? And then there's some that were left out - Sam Posey (former race car driver) and the actor who played Michael J. Fox's dad on the TV series that launched Fox's career, and he's now the spokesperson for The World's Greatest Hobby. Name slips my mind ATM.

Reply to
Rick Jones

"Greg Procter" wrote

Charles Addams' cartoons ran for many years in New Yorker magazine. They were the original non-animated kind of cartoon, although using the word "kind" in combination with those particular cartoons may well be an oxymoron.

Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

Michael Gross

Last few sentences in the 2nd paragraph of his bio:

Stevert

Reply to
Stevert

"BDK" wrote

Congratulations! With the advent of DCC, you *can*!

(Or, you could be the poor soul who was running both a train and a streetcar at the same time on the same layout, and, in a moment of innattention, tee-boned his own train at the crossing!)

Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

Oh, poor lad, so much you missed in your childhood. Ever see Gahan Wilson's cartoons? Or his spiritual successor, B. Kliban? google is your friend.

Reply to
Steve Caple

"Steve Caple" wrote

Add Vaughn Bode.

Reply to
P. Roehling

"Stevert" wrote

Bingo!

I think his railroad was best known for it's 144 car trains.

Reply to
P. Roehling

You apparently overlook that you missed the equivalents of my childhood. You see, culture (even cartoon culture) does not revolve around your experiences - in fact, given your references it doesn't even have a nodding aquaintance there. ;-)

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

How dare you, What do you mean "wasted" :)

Jim

Reply to
Jim Korman

And yet, YOU knew the name! :)

Reply to
The Seabat

Well, I probably did, I loved that show. =20 It's on everyday on at least 2 channels now.

BDK

Reply to
BDK

Well, I have to admit that I bought some junk friction tired stuff and some other junk locos, and when I realized they ran in opposite directions....BLAM! I had about 40 cars behind each one, and they went all over the place. Almost no damage, except to the loco's bad paint jobs. Easily fixed with Penn Central black. Covered all the nicks up. I used to go to the hobby store nearby and make offers on all the locos that had defective paint jobs. They were sort of common, and rather than have them sit and rot in the case, they sold them to me for cost. My dad sold toys and had the wholesale prices on all that stuff. My little Badger airbrush made me a lot of PC locos out of those pitiful looking B&O, NYC, etc ones.

We also used to recreate crossing accidents with my slot cars. I had one of those HO track/slotcar crossovers, and would take junk slot cars (we rewound the armatures and drag raced them at 100 volts, so there were always spare not so great anymore parts) and whacked them with trains.

One of the good slot cars, running at near full voltage (We used a friend's father's 0-100V DC Laboratory PS for power) on a glue covered track (traction was severly limited, even at 12 or 20 volts) was scary fast, and hurt like hell if you got hit by one. To stop, we cut the power to the last few feet of track and put a 12V car brake light in series across the dead track power rails. It helped slow the cars down by loading the motors as generators, and settled all "Who won?" questions as the lights would light up very brightly for a half second or so. At the very end was a pillow. The cars would bounce several feet off of it sometimes. If you got hit by one at full speed, it left a nasty looking bruise. One of my friends got it right between the legs when he was lying on the floor watching the cars go across the finish line close up. We had made "dragsters" out of brass tubing and AFX chassis, and mine came apart and went off the track and nailed him. He was laughing, even though it hurt really bad. My other friend and I were on the floor.

Those cars were a lot of fun, and the betting we did made it very addictive.

BDK

Reply to
BDK

Michael Gross?

BDK

Reply to
BDK

You watched more of Gomaz Addams!

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I have an excellent memory for whatchmacallits!

Reply to
Greg Procter

er, I think it was on once a week around 1977 - b/w at that!

Reply to
Greg Procter

Sex?

Reply to