Rocker Sahft material

I have a CAT 3208 block in the shop, that is used for a tractor puller. The ONLY part of this motor made by CAT is the block, and that is filled solid.

There are homemade solid aluminum heads, billet crank, custom rods, camshaft cut from 8620, etc. They run alcohol, and with three (dual)staged turbos, build up to 90 lbs of boost pressure. They run it at 6500 RPM. Quite a piece of hardware!!

The heads were designed for a rocker shaft, along with roller(?) tipped rockers. They had also made roller lifters, with larger sized 1" rollers for the camshaft.

The valve train on this motor has not held up.

My job, is to make a new valvetrain for this motor. This will include the roller lifters,with link bars, a rev kit(springs to stabilize the lifters), new rocker shaft mounts, rocker shafts, rockers, and measure for the new pushrods.

I talked to several engine parts builders, and have gotten some very helpful advice.

One current problem is the material for the rocker shafts. I want to run roller bearings in the rocker arms, on a hardened shaft.

The rocker shafts on this motor are pressurized to oil the rockers. Curiously, there is no oil gellery to the lifter bores. So the big question is, is there a source of shafting that is suitable for the roller bearings to run on?

It was also suggested that I could have shafts gound, hard chromed, and ground down to run with bronze bushings on the rockers, but that doesn't sound like like less work or expense compared to running standard roller bearings, like some of the builders do use.

Any thoughts on the shafting, or alternately, standard bearing races?

I can start another thread about all the other parts of this valvetrain, it is an interesting problem.

Reply to
Half-Nutz

Thomson shaft?

Available in english and metric sizes, a couple OD tolerances, and either solid or tubular in sizes over 3/4". The hard case can be machined, if necessary, with carbide or by grinding.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Are you talking about needle bearings without an inner race? If so, there are special roller bearing alloys.

Hard chroming doesn't sound good. With the high line-load it will chip off.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

I, for one, would love to find out more about the valvetrain. I used to be involved with a SCCA race car and the pushrods gave everyone nightmares. Your spring pressures have to higher than ours were- how do you keep the pushrods from bending?

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

Never had a problem with the Mopar SL6 at 6500 RPM, and those were long push rods.No roller lifters or roller rockers either.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

We had a Yenko Stinger. It was a real factory race car built by Don Yenko from a brand new Corvair. The bottom end on the flat six will rev way beyond

6500 RPM, but the long pushrods and less-than-ideal geometry pretty much guaranteed bent pushrods. FWIW- the Stinger is still considered a competitive car.

-Carl

Reply to
Carl Byrns

I replied to a lot of questions on another forum....

The current pushrods are 7/16" CrMo, and are approx. 10.25" long.

Reply to
Half-Nutz

The 'vair geometry is a bit "hairy", particularly with stock push rods and a hot cam. My Valiant 170 had a stock cam, with the clearances tightened up to half spec. Drove it like I hated it, and it loved it.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

I always like the Stingers. They raced here in northern Ohio from time to time, we're fairly close to Don's home base. Remember Donna May Mims and her pink Yenko?

Reply to
DT