plastic shaft in 10% HCl

I need to fabricate parts for a rotating shafts and sleeve bearings that will operate in an environment of 10% hydrochloric acid. The load on the bearing and shaft is very light and the rotating speed is under

60 RPM. I am after information on material choice for plastic bearings and plastic shafts. Would there be a problem with PVC shaft and HDPE as the bearing material ? Can both shaft and bearing materials be the same ? surprisingly I cannot find information on the web about plastic bearings with plastic shafts. However, there is no shortage of information on plastic bearings with metal shafting.
Reply to
Adam Seychell

In general, journal bearings perform best when one surface is much harder than the other. This is why steel is often used for the shaft in a plastic bearing. The harder surface tends to smooth and burnish the softer one leading to good wear behavior. If the materials are of similar hardness the surfaces tend to roughen each other leading to galling and sometimes seizure.

UHMW PE would be a good choice for the bearing, I would try to use a suitable metal for the shaft if at all possible.

RT

Reply to
RThomp7367