Old model RR books

When I was a kid and had learned how to use a library, I remember going to my local public library branch at 73rd and Exchange on Chicago's south side, right next to the IC's electrified South Chicago commuter branch. In addition to what ever I needed for school, I would always check what was available about railroads and model railroads. I remember being disappointed in the few 1920's era model railroad books on the branch library shelves that described winding your own motors, making your own track with strips of tin set into slotted wood ties, and big dry cell or open glass tank wet cell batteries for power. Now I'd like to find one of those old volumes. Does anyone out there know a title or author I can use in searches on the used book sites? Geezer

Reply to
Geezer

Look for "Model Craftsman" It became "Model Railroad Craftsman" for just a few issues and then "Railroad Model Craftsman" that we know today.

Howard

Reply to
Howard R Garner

The title of one I read several times way back in the late 40's was something like "From Alpha to Omega" and described just that "build it all yourself" approach by a high school teacher. Alpha was the engine and Omega the caboose. Hope this helps.

Reply to
Henry Murray

You might try a subject search on google books. The old ones are out of copyright, so you can download the whole thing. The Boys' Book of Engine Building has a section on a live steam 4-4-2.

Henry Greenly was an English model engineer who'd written some books around the turn of the 20th century.

Reply to
<wkaiser

Are you familiar with this site:

railpub.com

I've done business with them before and they are very friendly and helpful.

Reply to
video guy - www.locoworks.com

I don't know if they deal in old books, but try Ron's Books. They advertise in RMC.

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum