Model RR Books

Hi Everyone,

I own one model railroad book: Realistic Model Railroad OPERATION by Tony Koester. I have read it from cover to cover many many times. It has been a great teaching tool as I slowly draft a layout on paper. I would very much like to purchase a number of similar books, but I need your assistance. I am hoping that some of you either own or have perused the pages of some, many, or all of the following model RR books - and you can offer your thoughts about each book. I simply do not live near a train store that carries this type of inventory on hand. I am also trying to avoid major overlaps in the table of contents. I listed the books in order from the most intriguing to the least known [w/ the caveat that my ordering is based solely on their own descriptions]. I must say that the first four books listed appear to be potential winners if their descriptions are reasonably accurate.

Given the length of the list, I thought it might be easier to offer the link and the book numbers to be entered into their search box.

#12148 #12256 #12248 #12250 #12249 #12228 #12235 #12234 #12233 #12194

Thanks So Much!!! Matt

Reply to
Matt & Kathleen Brennan

I have an earlier edition of "Track Planning for Realistic Operation". The book is very detailed about prototype operation and how to translate that into a layout. I would recommend it. I don't know how this compares against your Tony Koester book.

Reply to
Scott

Matt=A0&=A0Kathleen=A0Brennan wrote: I own one model railroad book: Realistic Model Railroad OPERATION by Tony Koester. I have read it from cover to cover many many times. It has been a great teaching tool as I slowly draft a layout on paper. I would very much like to purchase a number of similar books, but I need your assistance. I am hoping that some of you either own or have perused the pages of some, many, or all of the following model RR books - and you can offer your thoughts about each book.

"Track Planning for Realistic Operation" by John Armstrong is possibly the best book in my collection. It was one of the first model railroad books I purchased nearly 40 years ago. It's also one of my best sellers:

You might find the reviews modelers write halpful when viewing the books at Amazon.com. I offer several of these on my bookstore pages and a link to Amazon.com (of course):

There's free shipping on orders over $25 and many of the books are up to

30% off list price.

Of course, you can read the reviews and still buy the books from Kalmbach if you choose.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
's Books and Toy Trains:
to 1,000 sites:

Bill

Matt & Kathleen Brennan wrote: [...]

I prefer that you give the titles as well - to answer your request, I'd either have to match the numbers to the books in my collection, or google - both of which are hassles I'm not prepared to put up with. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Will do. I'll put the names to the numbers and then re-post.

Thanks, Matt

Reply to
Matt & Kathleen Brennan

would recommend it.

Thanks Scott! That one is on my to get list.

Reply to
Matt & Kathleen Brennan

How to Operate Your Model Railroad by Bruce Chubb, and Track Planning for Realistic Operations by John Armstrong are excellent books.

Reply to
Corelane

Anyone ever read "Design Handbook Of Model Railroads" by Paul Mallery (Carstens)? I've already read Armstrong's book, but on a layout tour this weekend one host had some stuff he was selling on a table. I picked this one up for $1. I thought it might provide some alternative views not in the Armstrong book.

Reply to
Rick Jones

"101 Track Plans" by the late great Lynn Westcott is not only instructive, but great fun to read.

Ron

Reply to
Gallillee

Ron wrote: "101 Track Plans" by the late great Lynn Westcott is not only instructive, but great fun to read.

------------------------------------------------- I agree. Lynn Westcott was indeed a great writer and model railroader. I always enjoyed (and still enjoy) his books and the issues of Model Railroader when he was editor.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
's Books and Toy Trains:
to 1,000 sites: