Model Rail Scale

Hello all

I've been thinking about the scales used in model railways and was trying to come up with just how many there are.

The following is what I have come up with from memory and from looking in the book. Encyclopedia os Mdel Railways

Also what scales are the narrow gauge trains sorry about the length

Standard Guage Trains

1 Scale 1:32 S Scale 1:64 O Scale 1:48 OO Scale 1:76 (1:76.2) EM Scale 1:76 EEM Scale 1:76 HO Scale 1:87 TT 1:101(EU) or TT120:1(US) N Scale 1:160 or 1:144 OOO 152:1 Z Scale 220:1

Narrow Guage Trains

SN3 Scale ON30 Scale 1:48 ON3 Scale Hon30 Scale HoN3 Scale NN30 Scale NN3 Scale

My Website:

Anthony

Frank A. Rosenbaum

Anthony vermeldete in heller Aufruhr:

[short list of gauges]

Here is a much longer list (100+ gauges and scales):

It's in german but you will understand it.

Reply to
ejoty hijksen

Hallo Anthony,

may be its specific eur> Narrow Guage Trains

0e 1:48 16mm (750mm original track) 0m 1:48 20mm (1000mm original track)

H0m 1:87 12mm H0e 1:87 6.5mm

Nm 1:160 6.5mm

Regards, Kurt

Reply to
Kurt Harders

My Website:

Anthony

Good website! :-) There is useful information there, even though I know about 5 words in German.

John

Reply to
John Franklin

EEM Gauge became defunct around the mid 1960s. The advent of the P4 standards saw to that.

You have omitted S7 (Scale7) 33mm gauge, exact scale wheel and track standards 1:43.5429; 7mm = 1ft.

Also left out is 0 Gauge 7mm = 1ft. (1:43.5) (Used in most of the world outside the USA)

What year is your Encyclopedia of Model Railways?

The 'number' gauges (3, 2, 1, 0, 00, 000) are not 'Scales', but 'Gauges' because that is what they were originally named. Note the upper case initial letters - just like your name is Anthony not anthony or Fred.

Anth>

snip

Reply to
Dick Ganderton

N scale is 1:150 in Japan. Where is it 1:144?

-- Bill McC.

Reply to
Bill McCutcheon

Bill McC. replied: N scale is 1:150 in Japan. Where is it 1:144?

------------------------------------------------ Great Britain uses 1:148, I believe. But 1:144 I don't know.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
's Books and Toy Trains:
to 1,000 sites:

Bill

I have a model of a railway gun that is 1/144.

It's going to be hidden on my N-scale layout somewhere.

That scale may be used mostly for military and other non-railroad models.

Reply to
Ken Rice

What an amazing list. Someone has done a lot of work to make this up. Some of the tiny gauges sound most improbable. A few additions. 5ft. 3 inch gauge (1600mm), used in Ireland, and parts of Australia and Brazil, in 1:87 scale is 18.4mm gauge, not sure if this actual gauge is used or if rounded out to 18.5mm.I think that some Victorian Railways modellers work to 4mm =1 foot which for 5ft. 3 inch gauge gives an equivalent model gauge of 21mm. Maybe so in Ireland too. Japan has 1:80 scale models of their 1067mm gauge trains running on

16.5mm gauge track, sometimes referred to as HOj, although I think that this designation has recently been changed. They also make trains to the same scale running on 13mm gauge track (true equiv: 13.3mm) and they also use 12mm gauge for 1:87 scale models of their n.g. trains. Regards, Bill.
Reply to
William Pearce

I thought 0e was 16.5mm gauge.

H0e is the same as HOn30 - 9mm gauge. H0f (for feldbahn) is the 6.5mm gauge, I believe.

John Dennis

Reply to
denjo02

I thought 0e was 16.5mm gauge.

H0e is the same as HOn30 - 9mm gauge. H0f (for feldbahn) is the 6.5mm gauge, I believe.

John Dennis

Reply to
denjo02

The 1:144 could be a typo. it was done from memory The book was published in 1979 and I've always been confused about the numbers (3, 2, 1, 0, 00, 000).

One more new thing learned.

BTW I have On30, HO and N scale at home atm and will soon have a 16:1' toastrack carriage. It is a handmade kit, (not produced in a factory and there is a very limited number of them left).

Photo here

My Website:

Anthony

Anthony wrote: The 1:144 could be a typo. it was done from memory The book was published in 1979 and I've always been confused about the numbers (3, 2,

1, 0, 00, 000).

---------------------------------------------------- Maybe it isn't a typo. I have a number of automobiles that are 1:144. The ones I have at hand are by Racing Champions, but I believe Hot Wheels and others made 1:144 autos. As for model railroads, I don't know.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
's Books and Toy Trains:
to 1,000 sites: