Question about scales

Hi all

I am a Scalextric fan - but want to set up a model railway around the slot car circuit. I believe Scalextric is 1/32 scales - and I think 'G Gauge' is also 1/32 - but looking on ebay recently some G stuff is listed as 1/22....

Can anyone confirm which scale I'd need if I was to put something together. I've also noticed that most of the G gauge stuff is not reall UK stuff - but looks like American style locos........ - which again, wouldn't be in keeping with the circuit.

Any advice would be appreciated..!

Thanks

Simon

Reply to
Simon Hawthorne

Simon,

The correct scale for you is Gauge 1 or 10mm/3/8" scale. This scale, like a few others in the UK, has an imperial scale of 3/8:ft (1:32) or a metric scale of 10mm:ft (1:30.8). The gauge of the track is

45mm. You can get a few kits and track for this scale, but it does tend to be a scratchbuilders' scale.

There is a very good association for the scale and they have a web site at

If you go to the Links page on this site you will find a fair selection of links to manufacturers and retailers of Gauge 1 products.

G scale has whatever scale you want it to be. ;-). It normally uses the same track gauge as Gauge 1 (45mm), but the models are usually of narrow gauge prototypes, so the scales can vary depending on the gauge on which the prototype ran. For example, a three foot gauge prototype on 45mm track should be modelled at a scale of 15mm:ft which is a scale of 1:20.5. A metre gauge prototype (3' 3") on 45mm track gives a scale of about 14mm:ft , or 1:22. Since G scale started with European manufacturers modelling metre gauge prototypes, 1:22 was the original scale.

Watch out for North American products which model standard gauge prototypes on 45mm gauge track but at 1:29 scale, and call their product G Scale. You would have thought that the world would have learned from the UK about putting overlarge scale bodies on under gauge track, but the US has to try re-inventing that wheel :-) But if you can put up with the scale of the models being slightly large and the prototypes being from the US, then you might want to look at these models.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

knock yourself out

:)

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

Thanks guys - looks like lots of research is in order...!

Regards, Simon.

Reply to
Simon Hawthorne