In-ko-pah Railroad pics!

The In-ko-pah Railroad is my outdoor, large-scale layout. It's still under construction, though some parts are basically done. The layout is
built on a steep hill behind our house which was formerly covered with iceplant. The theme is a desert, narrow gauge railroad serving mines in a rugged, rocky mountainous area.
I've posted some new pics of my railroad, beginning with this one:
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u009006&a2116967&pt595490

the whole album:
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u009006&a2116967
The first two (new) pics were taken sometime around the end of June, after I'd finished building the small hillside trestle on the upper level of the east end. The second pic looks west towards the new, partially completed mountain in the middle of the layout. There are two tunnels running through this mountain, accessable via a pair of removable slabs over the center of the tunnels.
The rest of the pics are mostly closeup scenes from some of the (more or less) completed areas. I shot a bunch of these kinds of pics to enter in Garden Railways magazine's annual photo contest. I selected the three best pics and mailed them in to the magazine. Those three are NOT online. The pics I posted online are the ones that didn't make the cut, but I think they're still pretty good.
I've finished the long plate girder viaduct, and you can see part of it in some of the pics. It's about eight feet long, half of it straight and half curved. It's supported by cast concrete pillars. The plate girders were scratchbuilt from 1/8" thick G10 fiberglass and styrene angles.
BTW, when I shot these pics, it was the first time I've ever had a train on the upper level of track, and the first time I ever had one actually running on the layout. The longest continuous stretch of track so far is only about 20 feet, so I could only run a short train back and forth. But it sure was cool!!
(The last photo was taken at Balboa Park, and shows the "riding" train that's in front of the San Diego Zoo. It runs on 15" gauge track.)
BTW, my railroad is named after the In-ko-pah Mountains and In-ko-pah Gorge, which are in the desert east of San Diego. Eastbound Interstate 8 passes through the In-ko-pah Gorge, going down into the Imperial Valley from the high desert. I don't know exactly what "in-ko-pah" means, but it's an Indian word. It was the name of a tribe that used to inhabit the area near Jacumba.
On 5 Aug 2006 21:15:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

30" or 36" - and what height is that rail? Looks a little high.
Great bridge!!
--
Steve

Steve Caple wrote:

Unfortunately "G scale" is complicated, as there are several scales using the same gauge track. Rolling stock of slightly different scales is often mixed. My layout is (nominally) 1:22.5 scale, which means the gauge scales out to about 42" if I remember correctly. The diesel switcher is actually 1:20 scale though.
The rail is code 332, which is the standard size for sectional track. It's large, but it does hold up well to outdoor use, including being stepped on. There are smaller sizes available but most of it requires handlaying and spiking.

Thanks!
On 9 Aug 2006 09:48:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

So, garden railroads are like really BIG N-scale, eh? <g>
--
Steve

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Bill Bill's Railroad Empire N Scale Model Railroad: http://www.billsrailroad.net Brief History of N Scale: http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale Model Railroad Bookstore: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore Resources--Links to 1,100 sites: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links