New pics, major progress on my large scale outdoor layout

I finally have some new photos of my In-ko-pah Railroad posted, beginning with this shot of the west end of the layout:

You can click through the rest of the photos from there, or go here to see the entire album:

I've made major progress since the last time I posted anything...

  1. Completed the west end mountains.
  2. Completed and installed a new plate girder bridge with catwalk and handrails.
  3. Finished the concrete stairs at each end of the layout, and gave them a rock-like texture.
  4. Built a miniature stone retaining wall.
  5. Began excavation of the second canyon.
  6. Built the eighth and last tunnel.

I've also included a few pics of my Buddy L 2-6-2 after modifying, detailing, repainting and weathering it. I replaced the diamond stack with a "shotgun" type made from a baster. Detailed the backhead and cab interior. Replaced the headlight with a battery powered LED. Converted the tender from coal to oil. Added an engineered made from a heavily modified Railroad Avenue "Wayne" figure.

Last of all are a couple pics of the LBG Porters that we bought on ebay in December. Eventually I will be repainting and weathering them.

Reply to
raydunakin

rd:

Is that one of those Buddy L RC locomotives you see for Christmas-tree use? You've done a good job on it. It looks good.

Cordially yours: Gerard P. President, a box of track and some plans

Reply to
pawlowsk002

Thanks. It's not RC, it's track powered. It was part of a starter set. The set I bought was the store display model, and only cost me $99. The boiler was originally a shiny metallic copper color.

BTW, I also added about 3 pounds of weight to it, which improved the traction quite a bit.

Reply to
raydunakin

rd:

Buckshot? Cerro metal?

Depleted uranium? ;-)

Cordially yours: Gerard P. President, a box of track and now some L-girders.

Reply to
pawlowsk002

I melted a bunch of lead and poured it into a short length of iron pipe.

I got the lead from some old plastic Super 8 movie cameras. Each camera had a half-pound of lead, apparently to make the camera feel like more than just plastic.

:
Reply to
raydunakin

More likely to damp the shake in the hands that held it.

Reply to
Wolf