Major inprovements to my N scale layout

I have an N scale layout that I have been working on. I wanted total realism and now I can have it.

For the last 20 years I have been inventing, refining and perfecting a method of reducing objects in size. I won't go into perticulars until I have a patent but the basic idea is that I am able to make the atoms and molecules in an object come closer together. Picture it like the solar system. It is very similar. There is a lot of wasted space out there. If you could move all of the planets in the solar system closer together....... well you get the idea. Anyway, back to the layout. I have taken a real, full size CSX locomotive (to be specific it was an AC4400CW and was #23) and reduced it in size to N scale. CSX has it listed as destroyed but it's actually on my layout. You remember that gasoline tanker that was listed as missing in Texas a couple of months back? It's on my layout. There was a old timey depot in Aberdeen Maryland that was slated to be torn down. This depot was totally cool. Had that old time look and effect. Well, I saved them the effort of destroying it. Yep...it's on my layout. The effect is very good. I could never get this kind of realism with models, the layout is my best ever and I am quite proud of it. I'll post some pictures. I mentioned the tanker truck...well the fuel remains viable. I was able to fuel the CSX loco and I reached into the cab with a straight pin, fired it up and added some throttle. It went around the layout just fine. Made the proper sounds, smoke...the whole bit.

It remains for me to populate the layout with people. For now I am using the Priesser (sp?) scale people. It seems that I can only reduce non-living matter to a smaller size. I tried it on organic matter and it didn't work. Actually, I should clairfy that. I can shrink plant matter but not insect or mammal matter. I tried it on the wife's cat and it was a real mess. She liked that cat and she's still mad at me. I'll get it worked out. Once that is accomplished the layout will be really the best that I can do. I can picture it with little people going about their business on their own. With the reduced plant matter and some small livestock it will be a totally self supporting culture. I'll keep you posted with details as they progress. Pity about the cat, though.

Reply to
coustanis

Hey -- that's the price of scientific progress.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Indeed. I did get her another one but I guess it isn't the same. At least, to her anyway.

Reply to
coustanis

What are you using for benchwork. If all you did was to shrink the physical size of the objects they must still mass the same amount. I have yet to see any model benchwork that could support a full size locomotives mass, let alone the floor under the benchwork.

Reply to
Allan Butler

Oh, dear ... that would make reversal somewhat difficult, wouldn't it?

Dean

Reply to
Dean Eubanks

You are indeed correct. Because the molecules themselves have not been reduced in size, the mass does in fact, stay the same. I wondered if anyone would pick up on that. I got around this problem by simply constructing a new room for the purpose. It has a steel reinforced concrete floor poured directly onto an area of earth (my back yard) that was flattened out for the purpose.

Reply to
coustanis

It appears that the knowledge of physics belonging to some of the members of this group are commendible. I am impressed. I did have to overcome the problem of mass disbursment. It took me a while, I must confess. I solved it by building coils into the walls of the room. It basically amounts to the room being surrounded by a large (and powerful) electromagenet. If the positive polarity is facing inward, it works. The cloud is contained. If the negative polarity faces inward, it disperses faster.

Reply to
coustanis

Err...reversal??

Reply to
coustanis

Hmmm... that EM field must play hob with the computers in that miniaturized locomotive...

And what do you do about point in time when the "shrink" wears off and things come back to full size? That's pretty hard on the layout...

Isaac Asimov would have loved this.

Joe Ellis Malinkigrad, Ohio

Reply to
Joe Ellis

dang, and i just thought we were playing with trains...

coustanis wrote:

Reply to
Calvin Mitcham

How is this different from the Acme Atomic Reducer or the Popel Shrink-O-Matic? Bruce

together.......

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Run.

Reply to
coustanis

Yeah ... just in case he want's to make it big again. Maybe he wants to change scale from say HO to O. If all the extra atoms were dispersed, it will be VERY difficult. He'd have to go find ANOTHER loco to shrink, instead

.

Dean

Reply to
Dean Eubanks

And all those things missing in the "Bermuda Triangle." It was YOU, wasn't it?!?!?

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Reply to
Mike Tennent

Reply to