pictures of my loft layout

I've been quietly doing some work on my loft layout. It has also given me a chance to offer some running rights to Seaboard Southern members
after they lost their hut due to fire.
In fact the last running session started with the loft in a complete mess after the electrician turned up 2 hours earlier than I expected (he has completed wiring a ring main and adding extra sockets) leaving me no time to do any cleaning up. Luckily Peter Blake was more concerned with running his locos than looking around at the mess :-)
Here are some pics of the running session and works. http://mikehughes627.fotopic.net/p66638434.html
I hope to have some more published soon. In the meantime enjoy!
--
Mike Hughes
Here are some pictures taken in March of the installation of the Lenz 150 6 station DCC decoder used to control 9 turnouts. Click on previous to see them roughly in order. http://mikehughes627.fotopic.net/p66735893.html

Very nice but my back hurt just looking at those pictures.
Cheers
In message

You don't know the half of it. I have a right leg that doesn't bend fully (motorcycle accident in 1975) plus a large belly so getting under the boards requires me lie down. Strangely enough when I 'm down there it's not too bad but god help me if I have to get up to get some tool or piece of equipment I forgot in the first place :-))
--
Mike Hughes

Here are some more pics of the Lenz 150 being installed including one showing just how much of mess I get into when working out where the wires go and testing them. Start here http://mikehughes627.fotopic.net/p66770004.html
--
Mike Hughes
"Mike Hughes"

You take the cake Mike, and I thought I was messy. :-)
--
Roger Traviss

Photos of the late GER: -

OK here's some that show a less messy piece of work
Despite that dreaded 4 letter word ***k [1]getting in the way I've still managed to get some modelling done. The BM&W (my loft layout) now has a backboard in place. Pictures taken last week http://mikehughes627.fotopic.net/p66858620.html It's already changed so look out for more pics to follow soon.
[1] work
--
Mike Hughes
writes

Back?
I resemble that!

You're getting somewhere! Will the sky tilt back when you're done?

It's already got clouds on it and the background blue is now shaded so that it starts light at the bottom and gradually gets darker at the top.
I've taken some photos but it will take me a couple of days to get them on my site so keep looking out for them - there's even one of the rear end shunt that took place!
--
Mike Hughes

Here's your answer
The lower temperatures have meant that I've been able to get more modelling done on my loft layout this summer than I would have expected. I've not only fitted a backboard but have also got some clouds painted. Some of them (the good ones) were painted by Cliff South while the others (not so good) are painted by me. See what you think starting at http://mikehughes627.fotopic.net/p66941262.html
My only excuse for poor painting was that I was trying to despatch for two loco engineers at the same time.
At our last session (Wed 1st Sept) NMRA members Cliff South and Brian Woolven joined me in the loft. After the initial running (=play) session we had a short working session - that's when Cliff painted the clouds - and I started to speed match one of Brian's locos to my 'master' set.
Trying to be clever (you can guess what's coming can't you) I was running the master locos, Brian was running his loco and Cliff was running my SD70M demonstrator with a tank/double stack train. This was working fine as the speed matching locos were running on speed step 7 so weren't going too fast. Then I decided to run Cliff's train into the secondary route which it did without problems - in plenty of time for me to reset the route and allow Brian's loco to continue on the main.
I set the switches on my key pad and assumed that everything was OK. Then there was a loud crash, the double stacks and a couple of tank cars came off the track and ended up on their side. It was at the moment that Cliff said "I'll bet he doesn't take photos of that" that I was undoing the camera case and then took the following shot http://mikehughes627.fotopic.net/p66941255.html
We subsequently discovered that the 'gremlin' was in action again and the Lenz LS150 controlling that switch had given up the ghost again and required the AC power switching off and back on again to reset it (thanks to Mike Ruby for that tip)
I also put two half relief building against the backboards to double check clearances. I can get two tracks between them and the 'main' track. Here's three photos showing how they fit starting at http://mikehughes627.fotopic.net/p66941253.html If anyone has any (very) cheap half relief HO scale buildings they don't want I'd be delighted to take them off your hands. I'll be at Weston next Saturday if anyone wants to sell some on.
The problems were really minor and were soon resolved. So Cliff and Brian went about testing the continuous sections of track while I was setting the switches. In the following picture http://mikehughes627.fotopic.net/p66941260.html Cliff's eyes are closed. He had stopped his train and was listening to the 'clickety clack' of the grain train as it went past him on speed step 28!
We enjoyed ourselves. Hope you enjoy the photos.
--
Mike Hughes
writes

Trust me, these problems are nothing compared with the problems yo can get with DC - especially if you are trying to build a large layout. Try designing a system that will allow you to leave any loco any where, double, triple (or more) head, operate any of the switches from one keypad which can be plugged in anywhere on the layout, and see how many electrical switches and how much wiring you have to do :-))

He also did the clouds on my Lynneton Yard portable layout. http://mikehughes627.fotopic.net/p56864785.html and others

No he is holding it with his left hand

They certainly do. Just need to get some more at a reasonable price. The ones you can see here plus 3 I used on Lynneton Yard all came from a dealer who had bought them with rolling stock. They'd been built and were quite bulky so I got them at a bargain price!

Will do. If you go to the main window on my fotopic site you can sign up to receive notification when I add pics. I sometimes add them then it can take a couple of days to get the captions added. Go here http://mikehughes627.fotopic.net /
Thanks for the words of encouragement. It helps keep me working knowing that others enjoy seeing the work - and the little comments help me to correct mistakes as they happen.
--
Mike Hughes
Lobby Dosser Snip

If you've not been reading some of the other threads, I may know where you can get some building flats. :()
Downtown Deco just came out with some. Don't know if they're in your budget range, particularly with shipping across the pond.
BTW, ran into an fellow on your side selling some US outline HO. He has some On30 that might interest me. E-bay name is edjamcollectables (Edward James Collectables). Sheffield based.
Thanks for the link to your main page, I've book marked it.
Best Regards, LD

Not pictures of a layout this time but they may be of interest.
As part of the Crossrail project Network Rail are building a new station at Blackfriars in London, England. One of my daughters works for Balfour Beatty the main contractor. They held an open day fro friends and family last Sunday.
Here are a few pictures of the work taking place. Hope you enjoy them and that they are not *too* off topic :-) http://mikehughes627.fotopic.net/p67016409.html
--
Mike Hughes
writes

Quite ON topic. Strikes me I've never seen a construction site on a model railroad. The Blackfriars construction would be a terrific model. Also looked through the Fort Edmonton pictures. Lots of modelgenic buildings there!

In message

He used two brushes, selected from a range of artist's brushes I'd bought some time ago. Both are fairly stiff, one flat about 1/4 inch wide, the other round and a bit wider. The whole range was a cheap pack bought from a hobby shop.
Hope that answers your question
--
Mike Hughes