Hand-making O-Scale or G-Scale

Having been an HO modeler for years I have little knowledge of the larger scales. I'm trying to get a train model layout in a larger scale for my aging father who is visually impaired. So HO scale is out. The scales I've seen are often seen running along the cielings of restaurants which my dad loves these. Could someone clearup the scale issue for me. Isn't O-scale the same as "Lionel"? If so I need the larger scale up from that. The cars I've seen look like a box car is about 4-5" tall not counting the wheels. Also I'm considering an eventual attempt to hand-make some of the rolling stock (from wood)- does anyone know of a source to buy just the trucks, wheels, and cupplers? And of course the track? I'm not looking to get into anything really fancy, but I'm an artist and woodworker so it would be challenging but fun. Thanks! Frank

Reply to
SolFrankRosen

Frank,

O scale is 1 inch = 48 inches. Lionel is about that size but the models have been compromised some to be able to handle really sharp curves. Lionel is sometimes referred to as O27; the radius of a Lionel curve.

It sounds like you are talking about G scale. I gather that G comes from garden. I'm not absolutely sure about the actual ratio of G scale as I've seen a few different scales mentioned in the 1:22 to 1:29 range. I would think that G is probably your best bet. You might want to do a Google search on G scale and just see what pops up.

Hope this helps...

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

Sounds like so-called G-scale which is actually a mix and match of scales to fit 45mm track gauge.

LGB was the big manufacturer but now several manufacturers supply it.

Hobby shops that sell LGB should also sell the wheels, couplings etc.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

SolFrankRosen wrote in news:43f5e2cc-c876-46e2- snipped-for-privacy@w40g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

G gauge is a series of scales that runs on 45mm (or No. 1 gauge) track. Narrow gauge is usually 1:22.5, while standard gauge is normally 1:29. Most model cars of that size are 1:24, however. Some G gaugers mix and match the scales freely, while others stick to one or the other.

As far as wheelsets, ask your local hobby shop. I got a set of trucks from Bachmann (via the LHS) with metal wheels and knuckle couplers. It cost about $20. If you're not having any luck finding the wheelsets you need, post a message and I'll do a bit of digging for you.

As for mounting the trucks, I used 1/2" oak square dowels. There's a decent picture here:

The standard for track seems to be Aristocraft. LGB makes track also, but the Aristocraft is cheaper and good quality. Stay away from Bachmann track if you're considering any sort of harsh environment (like outside.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

As others have responded, the size you want is probably G gauge. Be aware that G gauge is not just one scale: o If you want to have the 1 3/4" gauge track correctly represent US 4' 8.5" standard gauge, the car should be 1:32 scale. The Aster brass models are in this scale. o Much of the LGB product line is 1:22.5 scale so the G gauge track represents European meter gauge. o Higher quality models from Bachmann and others representing US 3' narrow gauge equipment are done in 1:20.3 scale. o Many models of standard gauge trains by Aristo and USA trains are done in

1:29 scale which gives them size that is visually compatible when operated with LGB equipment. o Similarly many Bachmann and Aristo models of narrow gauge equipment are done in 1:24 proportion for the same reason, and for intermixing with 1:29 models. o And scratch builders use several other scales to represent 2' gauge, or 15" gauge, or other prototypes.

Since you are scratch building, you might find 1:24 with its "round" 1/2" =

1' easy to use.

If you use the European style hook and loop couplers, most brands of G gauge couplers are compatible. I prefer the more realistic knuckle couplers for appearance, but find these are much less compatible between the different product lines. I suggest you find one brand you like and can obtain readily, and stick with it. That said, I like the quality and service I've received from AristoCraft / Polk's Hobbies. They list their trucks at:

{7DCEVEREST5EF33-1F37-4CB1-9809-0507B0B3BA09}&Tp=&iTpStatus=1&Cc=WHEELS Have fun, Geezer

Reply to
Geezer