Timonium Great Scale Model Train Show

Hi folks, Our Timonium, Maryland January show is coming up in two weeks....the 24th and 25th. Please check our site for details and directions

. We have not yet added all of the dealers(many left to add)......hopefully by end of weekend. We are estimating between 800 to 1000 tables. We are not following Greenberg and Gats by raising admission prices..........we are still the same $6 with the second day free for Saturday attendees.........and twice the show!!! This is the largest of our four shows, and there will be quite a bit with many new dealers and manufacturers. Also in addition to our really wonderful modular layouts will be for the first time The Silverton Central. This is an Sn3 fairly large pike in a quality most of us can only dream of........including me. It is worth the trip just to see this........and of course our own home bred Four County Layout that is being photographed next weekend by Lou Sassi for Model Railroader magazine. We are also considering offering a prize for the first one to identify Mr. Rathburne.........a frequent attendee and most definetly a supporter of our events. We like him!!........just have never met him! Feel free to call, or email for information. We have selling space left..........or take advantage of our consigment tables or silent auctions. With almost 1000 tables, there will plenty of Athearn for those to stock up on........as prices could rise and some items could go the "collectible" route.

We hope to see you there, HZ

Reply to
Howard Zane

Thanks, I guess.

Can't make this show. I will be where it is warm and sunny with lots of water to look at. I hope you and the show does well though.

For anyone who has not been to this show.........GO! Nuff said.

Reply to
MrRathburne

while at the show stop by karls kabuse for your brass needs, recent addition of over 120 items of rolling stock all new in original boxes/foam and many new engines. have a little in n,0, hon3 but mostly ho. see you there. karl

Reply to
KYager1126

Gotta second that. I've seen it at a couple of GATS and it is an incredible layout.

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin" Operating Traffic Lights Crossbucks Special Effects Lighting

Mike Tennent

How was the show? Anything 'new' announced?

Jim Bernier

Howard Zane wrote:

Reply to
Jim Bernier

I think I pissed off a few people with the stroller, but thats not new! ;)

Saturday seemed pretty busy, picked up a couple of proto 2000 tank car kits for 6.99 ea. and a few branchline kits.

That was it for me.

Jim Bernier wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@nospam.hotmail.com:

Reply to
Kelly

Ya didn't piss off me with your stroller and I'm the co-promoter of this show. We redesigned the layout for wider aisles (11 feet) for just this reason plus the many handicapped. We love kids at this show. With out early exposure to our wonderful hobby where-in lies the future??? HZ

Reply to
Howard Zane

Most interesting to me was what was delivered- according to a couple people who attended, the Branchline (HO) heavyweight coaches were available from at least one dealer.

-fm Webmaster of the Pere Marquette Historical Society, at

The address in the header of this message is deliberately bogus to foil address-harvesters. See my web sites for my real address.

Reply to
Fritz Milhaupt

Smart thinking, on both counts.

Narrow aisles at shows are a real problem. Many promoters underestimate what's needed. People get frustrated, and spend less time. (Hence, less money!) 11 feet sounds VERY generous!

I see lots of bored, frustrated kids at shows, too, but not at the ones that encourage them, and provide for them. The NRHS Chapter show at Syracuse, NY has lots for kids to do. ("Floor trains" to play with, spike driving, ride-on large scale train, etc.) Kids are happier, and exposed to trains. Parents are happier. Dealers are happier. Great for everyone.

On an unrealted note, I saw the pictures of your layout in MR. Very impressive! I particularly liked that one scene where there was a long, metal staircase coming down from a concrete retaining wall.

Peter King in NY

Reply to
Peter King

Unfortunantly with a 2 year old in tow I can't really slow down and take my time.

The layouts are fantastic, and my daughter loves them. Since we are now expecting twins this may be the last show for a while.

I promise I won't bring a double wide stroller! I did see one at the show, and I told my wife no way.... We have to get a 2 seater, but it will be front to back.

Great show Howard, blows the GATS shows out of the water.

Peter King wrote in news:O1iRb.1106$o snipped-for-privacy@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com:

Reply to
Kelly

There was a letter in the Bee this morning from a family complaining about the Sacramento GATS. Basically, he complained that there were only one or two pitifully small layout displays - sounded more like dioramas as the fellow described it - nothing for kids to do except keep their hands off like the signs said.

Reply to
Steve Caple

At the GATS show in Novi, MI, this past weekend, there was plenty for the kids to do. There were two ovals with sit on hand powered carts that the kids could operate. There was a playmat taped to the floor that toddlers could play on. There were at least 6 modular groups and one RC racetrack. I don't normally go to the meet because it is $5 for parking and $7 admission, but a friend of mine had his modules set up and I wanted to see them.

-- Please note; return email address has changed. It is now snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net. Emails to Earthlink will be ignored.

The Gratiot Valley Railroad Club bi-annual train show and sale March 7, 2004, at the Macomb Community College Sports and Expo Center. Macomb County Michigan. Please visit our Web Site at:

Frank A. Rosenbaum

I didn't go - we had friends to visit and no real impetus to go - so I don't really know what they had there, but from the fellow's description the local modular group (one of those Code 100 rail [yuck] outfits) wasn't there. No idea why.

Reply to
Steve Caple

I went on Saturday and arrived around 1:00pm. I'm an N scale modeller so if you detect an N scale bias that is why. The hall was crowded when I got there and a regular vendor I frequent said it had been crowded all morning. More so than in recent shows. There appeared to be a lot of new vendors (all scales) that I had never seen before. Micro Trains was there which is the first time I recall seeing them. The layouts at the show were the following as I can recall. If I miss someone I apologize for the omission. Bantrak (n) NVtrak (n) Washington Highrailers (O-27) Western Maryland Historical Society (HO)-They've made progress on the Hagerstown Yard There was an S scale modluar layout which is the first time I've seen them.The modules appeared to be well done. Howard Zane had a display layout there (HO) The floor G scale layout (very popular with the children) The large O scale modular layout from the local area was noticeably absent. One vendor that I noticed was not present was Al's Kustom Kars Unlike shows of the recent past I noticed a much larger number of spouses and children there. That's an observation not a criticism.

Scott inBalto

AKnieriem

The kids at the Timonium show are much better behaved than those you see at other shows. I have a lot of stuff within reach that is extremely tempting - flashing lights, fire engines, etc but had very few problems.

Perhaps more of them come from mrr households and know when they can touch and when they can't.

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin" Operating Traffic Lights Crossbucks Special Effects Lighting

Mike Tennent

One of my friends was there. He said his kid really liked the Lego train....

Kennedy

Reply to
Kennedy (no longer not on The Haggis!)

Not so, Kelly! "Say honey, I'm going out to the store for a bit. You need anything?" (four hours later) "Marshmallow bars?? I thought you said boxcars." Heh-heh.

Reply to
Corelane

If your talking about the Four County group, something about a scheduling conflict with a member of the model railroad press. I guess we'll hear more in April when they return.

Chooch

Reply to
chooch