Gorre and Daphetid

Hello!
I decided I would like to build the, "Gorre and Daphetid", on a 4 x 8 plan. Where can one get the track plan without having to invest a
fortune in an antique book or magazine? A photo copy would be fine and I'd pay the postage.
I saw a perspective view of one and I suppose I could reconstruct it, but I'd like to be as authentic as possible.
Thanks, all!
Mike Picture Rocks, AZ
RMC December 1980 had the track plan in it.
You might get it from the files sections here:
Will
N Scale - Credit Valley Railway
The "original" G&D appears as track plan # 17 in Kalmbach's "101 Track Plans" by Linn Westcott. They note that they had softened the radii up to 15" from the even worse originals. The original small layout was incorporated in the final G&D, and so more correct drawings show up as a portion of the complete final G&D track plan which appear in Kalmbach's "Model Railroading with John Allen" also by Linn Westcott. Contact me off line (remove the nospam) if you can't find these books elsewhere. Gary Q

I built it about twenty years ago and it was featured in Narrow Gauge Gazette twelve years ago. It scales out to be actually 7 foot X 3 1/2 feet with on inside loop radius 14 inches. My Grand Children have it now.
-- Phil Anderson Up hill slow, down hill fast, tonnage first, safety last.

8
it,
Are you just looking for a general schematic, such as what's presented in "101 Plans?" If so, I could scan it and e-mail it to you. -- Bill McC.
Mike,
See Jeff's Gorre & Daphetid Tribute Page http://gorre_and_daphetid.home.att.net / ...Bill
Mike wrote: I decided I would like to build the, "Gorre and Daphetid", on a 4 x 8 plan. Where can one get the track plan without having to invest a fortune in an antique book or magazine? --------------------------------------------------- I believe "101 Track Plans" by Linn Westcott has a variation of the G&D:
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Bill Bill's Railroad Empire N Scale Model Railroad: http://www.billsrailroad.net Brief History of N Scale: http://www.billsrailroad.net/history/n-scale Resources: Links to over 700 helpful sites: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bills-favorite-links Bookstore: http://www.billsrailroad.net/bookstore.html
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Bill) wrote in message

(Amazon.com product link shortened)
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
plan. I traced it carefully off the monitor, upscaled it and I'm ready to GO! Thanks so much!!! Mike Picture Rocks, AZ
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Michael P Gabriel) wrote in

Yikes! You did that the hard way. If you did a right click on the picture you would have popped up a menue. Choose "Save image as", or a simular instruction (changes from browser to browser) and you would have a copy of the picture on your local computer.
Alternatly (if the picture is part of the background or somthing) Press [Alt][print screen]. Then open up paintbrush and do an Edit-Paste. Cut out the part you realy want and move it into the corner. Then resize the image to get rid of everything else.
--
Just my $0.02 worth. Hope it helps
Gordon Reeder
Michael P Gabriel wrote:

Would you mind posting the link to where you found it? I'd like to see it.

This may be a bit off-topic, but does everyone realize the true pronunciation? It's "Gory and Defeated!"
--
Frank Eva
http://www.digitalrailroader.org
Frank Eva wrote:
> This may be a bit off-topic, but does everyone realize the true > pronunciation? It's "Gory and Defeated!"
No matter how you pronounce it, it's still not as good a layout as it's made out to be.
Mark Newton wrote:

The superlatives were applied because it was a huge leap forward from the normal standards of the day (c 1948)
Gregory Procter wrote:
>>> This may be a bit off-topic, but does everyone realize the true >>> pronunciation? It's "Gory and Defeated!" >> >> No matter how you pronounce it, it's still not as good a layout as >> it's made out to be. > > > The superlatives were applied because it was a huge leap forward from > the normal standards of the day (c 1948)
EXACTLY!!! It was a great layout in 1948, and yet people still rave about it today!
Mark Newton wrote:

A lot of us still work to 1948 standards ;-)

The raves are not for the layout as an item, they are for what Mr. Allen accomplished with the products that were available. He was an artist. I have the 5 part G&D Remembered from RMC 1980-81. In there it even states that the original layout was not not all that good, but that his last G&D layout was truly awesome. There is a photo on page 71 of the Dec. 1980 RMC that shows an overall view of part of the layout. The entire room was the layout. The scenery went from ceiling to floor. The ceiling was painted to represent sky. the floor was painted to compliment the scenery that met it. The trackplan was on 4 or 5 levels at this point. This is the work of art that everyone is impressed with.
--
Will
N Scale - Credit Valley Railway
In a week or so, I'll post some pictures of my interpretation of the original Gorre & Daphetid that was only 3 1/2 by 7 feet. I have some positive opinions about what was learned about that project and will state them at that time.
-- Phil Anderson Up hill slow, down hill fast, tonnage first, safety last.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MRPics http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintageHO
On 5/2/04 7:48 PM, in article MFglc.276$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr16.news.prodigy.com,

The Ninth is better (IMHO). 8^)
--
Brian Ehni

I believe it would be 80% better than the Fifth, no?