Sig Senior or Aerostar

Hi...I built rubber band flyers as a boy, but now I'm 81 and I want to try my hand at building AND flying again, but electric this time! Emphatically, I do NOT want an ARF!!

After searching for appealing designs, what looks great to me are the Midwest Aerostar 40 and the Sig Senior Kadet LT42 electric

I'm at a VERY low budget this year and I wonder if someone can reccommend a cheaper kit or cheap plans for a similar type flyer...I'm good at extrapolating and scaling up and down to any size !

Can I get some help please> I would be really be happy! And I can't wait to get started.!

ThanX Mike

Reply to
mcosita9

The real problem is that you have a fair amount of investment in a U build it. RTF and ARF are the easiest and least costly ways to go. A good RTF or ARF combo kit includes the R/C system, Motor, ESC, etc, which make up a large portion of the cost. The listings I found with a brief search showed the Senior Kadet as about $169 in an ARF kit without R/C gear, motor, ESC, etc. I would estimate that another $300 or so would be needed for good R/C gear, and the electric power system. I also hope that you enjoy exceptionally good distance vision for your age.

Reply to
Chuck

have a look here:-

And also

Ther are lots of smaller people doing kits these days that you won't find in the model shops.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Mike, I've got one word for you.

Are you listening?

_Foam_

Seriously, Check RCgroups.com Scratchbuilding Foamys section - specifically The Blu-Baby

You can't learn to fly _any_ cheaper than blu fanfold foam planes. And, of course the forums will take over your life... Which you can enjoy with less-than-perfect eyesight.

Regards, MP

Reply to
misc_poster

Thanks for your response: By limited budget, I meant that I could buy the kit, and by the time I built it internal servos and gear would come next etc and next would come the motor, then controller, etc. so the expense might be over a 6+ month period. Besides, I may never fly it..the excitement of reliving my youth by building a flyer might be well worth the expense and it would keep my body and brain busy, With that in mind, accepting the fact that I want to build a kit, or scratch if I had decent plans, would you have a kit in mind? I like the Sig Kadet and the Midwest Aerostarl; anything as nice, but cheaper?Absolutely no RTF or quickee foam, etc...the old strut and strips in balsa..is what I wanted!. ThanX, , again! Mike Picture Rocks, AZ

Reply to
mcosita9

Another one to consider is the Telemaster. Hobby Lobby has kits from 35" to

12'. Start with the Micro Telemaster and you could probably be in the air for about $250. Hobby Lobby also frequenly has 20% off any item sales. One just ended, but they'll have another soon!
PCPhill

Thanks for your response: By limited budget, I meant that I could buy the kit, and by the time I built it internal servos and gear would come next etc and next would come the motor, then controller, etc. so the expense might be over a 6+ month period. Besides, I may never fly it..the excitement of reliving my youth by building a flyer might be well worth the expense and it would keep my body and brain busy, With that in mind, accepting the fact that I want to build a kit, or scratch if I had decent plans, would you have a kit in mind? I like the Sig Kadet and the Midwest Aerostarl; anything as nice, but cheaper?Absolutely no RTF or quickee foam, etc...the old strut and strips in balsa..is what I wanted!. ThanX, , again! Mike Picture Rocks, AZ

Reply to
PCPhill

Where do you live? Mike

Reply to
MJKolodziej

Mike, a good guy on one of the r/c groups gave me some brushed motors that I thought I'd use on a model. I've now gone over to brushless (which I recommend). However, if you find your perfect model, and can determine what size BRUSHED motor you would put on it, I'd be happy to mail you one ( or two) free just to get you started. You will still need a brushed controller to fit, etc. Let me know.

regards, Rich (68 year year old youngster who started into all of this just 5 months ago. ) xyzr i c h 9 9 s u e @ y a h o o . c o m (just remove the spaces and the the xyz at the beginning to send me an email.

Thanks for your response: By limited budget, I meant that I could buy the kit, and by the time I built it internal servos and gear would come next etc and next would come the motor, then controller, etc. so the expense might be over a 6+ month period. Besides, I may never fly it..the excitement of reliving my youth by building a flyer might be well worth the expense and it would keep my body and brain busy, With that in mind, accepting the fact that I want to build a kit, or scratch if I had decent plans, would you have a kit in mind? I like the Sig Kadet and the Midwest Aerostarl; anything as nice, but cheaper?Absolutely no RTF or quickee foam, etc...the old strut and strips in balsa..is what I wanted!. ThanX, , again! Mike Picture Rocks, AZ

Reply to
rich

I have been watching this thread, and I would humbly suggest that the Midwest Aerostar would NOT fit your specifications, building it is NOT going to hold your interest very long.

It IS a great flying plane, but,, the fuselage and empennage are all plywood and slab construction, the ONLY part that requires a significant amount of actual building is the wing structure, and even that is fairly simple and fast.

Since you indicate that you want to build, and have some experience from earlier times, you would probably gain more enjoyment from building something like the Sig Senior or the Sig Seniorita which has a lot of stick built construction and a minimum of plywood and slab parts.

the Telemaster is another kit that is mostly stick built, BUT once you drop below the 40 size, you see a lot more slab in the telemaster kits.

IF I were to recommend a kit, I would be sorely tempted to suggest the Sig Seniorita with a 63 inch wingspan as opposed to the Senior with it's 78 inch wingspan, And the Seniorita is significantly less expensive, and would still be capable of electric flight with relatively affordable components.

YMMV, bob

Reply to
Bob Cowell

----------- Emphatically, I do NOT want an ARF!! ------------- what part of that statement s unclear???

Ed

Reply to
Ed Smega

If you like building with sticks, forget the Aerostar. The Sig Kadet and Kadet Seniorita are a stick builder's dream come true.

Also, you could look for plans for the classics, such as the Quaker. I can personally recommend the Whimpy from the RCM catalog. It's fun to build (no sheet wood in the wings, tail or aft fuselage) and a treat to fly. It will do just abut any stunt you want, but you would have to pass out and fall on your transmitter stick to make it crash. And believe it or not, the plan is still listed at $10.

snipped-for-privacy@earthl> Hi...I built rubber band flyers as a boy, but now I'm 81 and I want to

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

Or hunt down a A&A Citabria kit . . . talk about a flying lumber yard.

Six_O'Clock_High

Do you remember seeing the 14 foot Quaker in RCM about 10 years ago? That was a masterpiece of sticks.

Six_O'Clock_High wrote:

Reply to
Robert Reynolds