LIPO Charging Problem

3 months ago I picked up several LIPO packs (11.1 volt, 2200 mah, 20 C) on the cheap. When I went to charge them, one
charged up fine, but with the other two, my Triton Jr. charger gave the error message, "Battery Voltage Too Low". I tried charging them through a balancer but got the same message. Is there any way to save these packs or has my good buy turned out to be expensive? TIA.
Try charging the li-po as a nicad or ni-mh just long enough to bring up the voltage to a level the Triton will accept. DO NOT LEAVE THE PACK UNATTENDED! Shouldn't take more than a few minutes and if it doesn't work the pack is probably too far gone to save.

Use a voltmeter and probe the voltage at the balance tap. Probably 1 cell of the three in the pack has gone bad. Voltages should be close to each other (.02 volts) and above 3 volts minimum. If 2 cheap packs have gone bad at the same time, they may have 2 or all 3 cells gone bad. Trying to 'save' them could get pretty costly and messy... Google "lipo fire" mp

BCRandy wrote:

The latter.I have been able to recover some flat lipos to about half capacity. But these days I just chuck them. What use is an overweight LIPO pack anyway?
Operative words: "ON THE CHEAP".

Do NOT throw those expensive packs away yet! FMA Direct has a charger called Cellpro 4S that has a special function for reviving packs that were used too long. The charger is 70 bucks and is one of the best out there. I had a pack that was almost dead and it brought it back to life. As far as I know this is the only charger that has this function build in. Good luck.

| Do NOT throw those expensive packs away yet! FMA Direct has a charger | called Cellpro 4S that has a special function for reviving packs that | were used too long
You don't need a special charger for this. As another poster suggested, just use a NiMH or NiCd charge function on the bad cells at a very low rate until they get up to 3 volts or so. Be sure to use a low rate and do not leave it unattended, just in case. If something goes wrong and the charge rate is low, it'll puff long before there's any pyrotechnics.
Also don't do this unless you can charge each cell individually (i.e. balance), because the cells are likely to be very out of balance.
--
Doug McLaren, snipped-for-privacy@frenzied.us
`The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree,