LIPO Charging Problem

Try charging the li-po as a nicad or ni-mh just long enough to bring up the voltage to a level the Triton will accept. DO NOT LEAVE THE PACK UNATTENDED! Shouldn't take more than a few minutes and if it doesn't work the pack is probably too far gone to save.

Reply to
Jerry Franks
3 months ago I picked up several LIPO packs (11.1 volt, 2200 mah, 20 C) on the cheap. When I went to charge them, one charged up fine, but with the other two, my Triton Jr. charger gave the error message, "Battery Voltage Too Low". I tried charging them through a balancer but got the same message. Is there any way to save these packs or has my good buy turned out to be expensive? TIA.
Reply to
BCRandy

Use a voltmeter and probe the voltage at the balance tap. Probably 1 cell of the three in the pack has gone bad. Voltages should be close to each other (.02 volts) and above 3 volts minimum. If 2 cheap packs have gone bad at the same time, they may have 2 or all 3 cells gone bad. Trying to 'save' them could get pretty costly and messy... Google "lipo fire" mp

Reply to
misc_poster

Reply to
Philip Goodwin

The latter.I have been able to recover some flat lipos to about half capacity. But these days I just chuck them. What use is an overweight LIPO pack anyway?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Operative words: "ON THE CHEAP".

Reply to
Jim

Reply to
glennhitt

| Do NOT throw those expensive packs away yet! FMA Direct has a charger | called Cellpro 4S that has a special function for reviving packs that | were used too long

You don't need a special charger for this. As another poster suggested, just use a NiMH or NiCd charge function on the bad cells at a very low rate until they get up to 3 volts or so. Be sure to use a low rate and do not leave it unattended, just in case. If something goes wrong and the charge rate is low, it'll puff long before there's any pyrotechnics.

Also don't do this unless you can charge each cell individually (i.e. balance), because the cells are likely to be very out of balance.

Reply to
Doug McLaren