Electrifly charging problem

I have a few Electrifly batteries and have 2 different lipo chargers for them, an Electrifly and a Hobbico. I noticed on one of the batteries that I just got that it will charge for awhile (15 min) and then the charger will start beeping and giving me the error that there is no battery attached. All my other batteries, using the same chargers, properly report that they are charged and don't give me the same error. I found a second one that started doing this after I'd flown in a couple times.

It seems to me that's it's the charging circuit that's the problem and not the battery itself. Has anyone had this happen to them before? Any idea what's going on? Is there a problem with my charger(s) that is going to gradually kill all my batteries? I'm guessing the "cure" is the send them back to Electrifly and see what they say about it.

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve

Is it getting hot and the thermal cutout (on the battery if fitted) going open circuit? That would explain the message and the reason for the error.

Reply to
Jonno

check the input voltage to your charger. If your car battery, for example, isn't OVER 12V you'll get this error also.

Reply to
Jim Slaughter

It's not even warm to the touch, and I'm charing them at less than

1/2 C. It'll take about 10 minutes for the battery to do it the first time, but each time after that it will do it instantly. If I leave it for a week or two it'll take a few minutes for the first time again. I was thinking that it was just giving the wrong "message" when fully charged but it's not getting quite to full (but almost...).

I'm using a 12v power supply (which is probably really 13.8 v) but I'm using 2 chargers with a total of 6 batteries being charged at once (the Elecrifly charger does 4, the Hobbico does 2). No matter where I move the suspect batteries they error out, while all the others charge just fine.

It baffling to me, the only thing I can think of is the charging circuit is defective and it's time to send them back. The fact thats it's happened to me twice, and I can't find any other posts on the topic, seen to dispute that though. That's scheduled for the end of the week if I don't come up with something else first....

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve

I am sure you know what you are doing but... These are lipo batteries you're talking about... What's the voltage getting down to? Below 3 volts per cell, they may no longer take a charge.

I am sure I'm stating the obvious but figured I would mention it.

-Gary

Reply to
G-Dawg

Steve,

Two batteries out of your collection have problems, yet you're saying that the batteries are ok, but SIX separate charging circuits on two different units are bad??? That makes no sense.

Nope, its those two packs. Get a digital multimeter, set on Volts, and measure the voltage of those two packs. I'll bet that they've been drawn down below 3.0 Volts per cell.

The fact that it's happened twice... I'd look at your airplane. It could be drawing more Amps than the battery can hanldle. Your ESC could be set improperly, or is misdetecting the cell count and allowing the battery to go too low.

Reply to
mkirsch1