NiMH charger recommendations?

First of all, this is a request for a *recommendation*, not a request for someone to do Google searches for me. - - - I need a charger for AA, AAA, and 9v batteries. Four of the AA or AAA
at a time is OK.
I see very few that support all these batteries (Maha makes a separate charger for 9v). Of those that do, not all use delta-V termination (or don't specify).
Of those remaining that qualify, I've not heard of the manufacturers ("Powerlzer"? -- that's not a misspelling), or Chinese no-name ones:
<http://www.horizonbattery.com/battery-chargers/chargers-by-type/12-bay-aa - aaa-9v-battery-charger.html>
The Tenergy TN190 is the only one I've seen:
<http://www.all - battery.com/Tenergy_TN190_NiMH_NiCd_Advanced_Universal_Charger_with_LCD_Displa y-01190.aspx>
Does anybody know of such combo chargers? Can recommend one?
Thanks, Dave
I can recommend the Lenmar Mach1 Speedcharger for the AA/AAA part of your need - bought mine in 2007 and have been quite happy with it for 4-1/2 years and several dive trips feeding camera and flash lots of AA batteries.
But, of course, it does not do 9V. Requiring that one box do it all may be excessively limiting your choices...
I own an Energizer CHM4FC, which you can get for around $25. It handles AAA, AA, C, D, and 9V. There's a NiCd / NiMH switch for cell type. I use it for 5400mAh C cells, and it works fine.
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/chm4fc.pdf
The catch is... The maximum charge current is ~ 500mA, and you have no control over what the charger does.
Get a MAHA PowerEx MH-C9000. It does only AA and AAA cells, * but you won't regret it. You can pick the charge rate, and there are functions (such as refresh and capacity) not on simple chargers. You can see exactly what's going on.
http://www.thomasdistributing.com/Maha-Powerex-MH-C9000-AA--AAA-Battery-Chargerbr_p_134.html
The current $52 price seems high (I have two, purchased at around $40 each), but Thomas occasionally has sales.
* MAHA told me it has no intention of making a C adapter. Rats.
William Sommerwerck wrote:

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/Maha-Powerex-MH-C9000-AA--AAA-Battery-Chargerbr_p_134.html
I have that MAHA charger and it can't correctly discharge Sanyo Eneloops (I think they have a little higher impedance than other cells) and the charger uses some horrible high current pulse mode.
Then on charge one day it put >3.6Ah into one of my 2Ah cells. I don't use it anymore.
Then again, I have had troubles with the Lacrosse BC-900 type chargers too. Only they just break after a while, but work Ok in general.
There are also hobby chargers. I have a Thunderpower at work for some LiPo cells.
--
_____________________
Mr.CRC

I've had trouble too with low discharge cells. My charger has two charge rates at the low rate it may not pick up the drop in cell voltage when fully charged but they work OK at the higher charge rate

--
We have failed to address the fundamental truth that endless growth is
impossible in a finite world.

I like the La Crosse chargers. Got one at home, one at the office. Cells are charged individually, selectable rates, falls back to trickle charge when full, reports time/volts/rate/amp-hours. Refresh cycle (discharge, charge, repeat until stable).
http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/bc1000/index.php
--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

I have this one. Used for a couple of years and it is great. SoShine make good stuff - the only problem is the crappy name. Only AA and AAA though.
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/soshine-hi-tech-lcd-nimh-nicd-super-quick-charger-6152
for another poster:
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/soshine-aa-to-size-c-r14-um-2-battery-converter-cases-5-pack-13814
AA is a little bit longer than C so it can be a tight fit.
--
We have failed to address the fundamental truth that endless growth is
impossible in a finite world.
DaveC wrote:

I have an older version of the one you linked, without the fast/smart capabilities. I've had it for three years; it's been flawless. And the high-capacity Tenergy D-cells (10,000 mAH) I use are also excellent.
Lord Valve
http://www.all - battery.com/Tenergy_TN190_NiMH_NiCd_Advanced_Universal_Charger_with_LCD_Displa y-01190.aspx

It turns out that the Tenergy charger uses delta-V termination on all except the 9v battery. Also, has condition function (discharge before charge) on all except 9v.
Blast!
Dave

As a 9V battery uses six cells, it might be difficult to determine an appropriate dV for the battery as a whole, given that the dV could be only 1/6 of that for a single cell.

If you tend to thoroughly run down the cells before recharge, that shouldn't be a problem.

Ah, good point. Series cells difficulty.

Good to know.
Thanks!
On 04/04/2012 16:59, DaveC wrote:

Suspect delta-V sensing would never work on a 9v battery as it is seven cells in series which would reach charged state at different times. Best strategy is to charge at a low rate for the maximum time to ensure all cells are catered for.
Also, if you get an 'intelligent' charger for single cells, they are often a bit too clever and fail to recognise the presence of a cell that has been over discharged or reverse charged (can easily happen in multi cell packs). A quick blast (~1A for a few seconds) gives it enough of a start for the charger to see it. Either keep a 'dumb' charger or connect across an alakaline cell for a few seconds.
I've used this one for a number of years
http://www.batterylogic.co.uk/technoline/technoline-BL700.asp
Flexible if a little slow. I've found the very fast chargers prone to killing the batteries after a few cycles.
Chris K

That's the same charger that La Crosse puts its name on:
< (Amazon.com product link shortened)>
With such a wide range of good AA/AAA chargers and a dearth of AA/AAA/9V chargers, I might get a dedicated 9V charger just to take care of those...
Thanks, Dave
On 2012-04-04, Chris K wrote:

Aha!
My favourite home battery charger is the one I bought in Tesco in Korea a few years ago: you can charge any number (up to 4) of AA or AAA batteries, mixed in any order, independently, and it has a sensible set of light meanings:
* no light: no battery in this slot * red: charging * green: charged * blinking red: battery doesn't work
and I've been getting quite a few of the last one recently. I guess I should get those NiMH batteries back out of the bin and try them in a "less sophisticated" charger to see if they work again after that?

I certainly like that one. All the numbers & options have a lot of geeky appeal. ;-)

(The one I mentioned above is fairly fast.)
--
Some say the world will end in fire; some say in segfaults.
[XKCD 312]

No delta-V for end-of-charge detection.
Might be OK for charging 9V or conditioning a bum cell...
Dave