Sig Senior or Aerostar

Hi again!

Sorry but I couldn't get into my original Post of 04/04 under the same title, to read the last 4 responses. Really Sorry! Don't know why...I clicked the links and nothing happens!!

I finally decided to scratch-build because, as I wrote in my first post,, I don't want ARF or RTF and there's nothing, or very little available in the the old strut balsa and silk span construction.kits

Sooooooo, I made up my mind to look for plans for the Cessna Bird Dog... If anyone can direct me to a source for downloading I'd really be excited. Any size would be great because Kinko's can scale up or down any drawing .for about $3 to $5 dollars.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP,. SUGGESTIONS, DO'S AND DONT'S! but especially , for a source to get plans for the Bird Dog. Svenson.com has the plans, but irhey're in DWG format. ,So I can't open it. I tried to download the DWG cad program...43 Megabytes. with my 56K, I won't live that long...I'm 81 now!

Final hope, maybe I'll find a company closing down and getting rid of their balsa construction kits!

Again, MANY THANX! Mike

Reply to
mcosita9

[...]

I think you've set some kind of record here tonite ;-)

Reply to
daytripper

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 22:04:57 -0500, daytripper wrote in :

I'm sure what he's trying to say is, "I can't thank you enough."

Or something to that effect. :o)

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

-------------

How are things going, Marty? Haven't spoken with you in quite a while. Ever get the MVVS 26cc engine straightened out?

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 09:06:28 -0400, "Ed Cregger" wrote in :

Not yet.

I talked with Pe about getting enough replacement parts to fix my third and last 26cc, but I never followed through on it.

As a stopgap measure, I've sold a helicopter, your YS .91 AC, and a JR transmitter and bought into a Saito 36cc gasser. It is one hunk of beautiful engineering. I'm still planning to get some shims for the MVVS. Running race gas (~106 octane) still didn't stop the preignition. Pe wants me to replace all the innards just to make sure--crankshaft & connecting rod. I'm reluctant to spend big bucks if the thing is just going to beat itself to death as its predecessor did. :o(

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

----------

Sorry about the MVVS 26cc gassers. I have the Evolution 26GT Mk. I, but am thinking of selling it too. Hasn't seen a drop of fuel since new. I've lost interest in the larger models and have returned to classic pattern flying and small glow powered fun models. I still have and fly some small electrics too.

I ordered two XYZ ignition systems and two Hall Effect sensors for them from Hobby City. I'm thinking of converting a few of my glow four-strokes to burn gas/oil mix. It should work, since from what I can tell, the Saito 36cc gasser is running plain bearings on the connecting rod and the usual ball bearings on the crankshaft. I'll try it with an old Enya 60-4C first. They are made from tough metal.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 16:36:11 -0400, "Ed Cregger" wrote in :

Let me know your asking price. The Evolution folks may have retuned it. It looks as though parts should be interchangeable between the Evolution and MVVS versions.

A friend, now deceased (RIP), converted an Enya 1.20. I heard he had a lot of problems with it.

The Saito FG-36 is a thing of beauty as it sits in the box. We'll see how it works up in the air. :o)

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

-------------

I've been threatening to sell that engine (Evolution 26GT) for a couple of years, but haven't done it yet. I'll let you have it and the tuned pipe I bought for it (this sound familiar?) for $325. Let me know if you're interested. All of it is NIB, just like before.

I want to buy one of those FG-36 Saito engines. That's why I'm thinking of selling the 26GT. I wonder if they have one in stock? I'll give a look-see in a while.

One has to reduce the compression ratio of an Enya four-stroke in order to burn gas/oil fuel. Preignition at the very least and possibly detonation will occur if the Enya four-stroke is normal healthy, compression wise. Fortunately, it isn't all that difficult to do. Might have to make some new pushrods though.

I have some really small Magnum .30 carbs that I would use on the larger Enya four-strokes that have been converted to gas/oil/spark operation. You don't need those large carbs that are used when burning alcohol. The higher air velocity through the smaller carbs aids in fuel atomization.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Mike

I've been through what you're trying to do. It's a bit tough.

One place supplying plans inexpensively for a lot of the old stick- built planes is

I have a subscription and already received quite a few I plan on building (if the eyes and fingers hold out).

Another place with a bunch of plans in all kinds of formats (including PDF) is

It's difficult to sift through but getting better.

For stick kits there's a bunch of sites. Dumas is still around at

and has them up to 30" ws. Peckpolymers has a variety of sizes and styles from gliders to RC and many are stick built. Sig Manufacturing is still with us and sells many of their old stick builds, they also handle Herr kits which are pretty nice (they even have a 30" Bird Dog for $40).

As for the Bird Dog plans specifically, RCM has a paper set (#1189), Uncle Willies

has a set of plans for a

36" ws from the old Berleley kit, and there's a set of plans for the 72" version available on eBay right now for $14 (got to be quick to get this one).

Hope that helps Richard

Reply to
rszanti