AI that can mimic a dogs interaction with humans?

Hi all

have a question about artificial intelligence.

We recently got a 2 month old puppy and I find different social behaviours displayed by the animal quite interesting.

For example there is the interactivity that when we speak to the dog in a certain tone of voice, it gets more excited. It reflects the emotions it senses in the human speech. I think this is also seen with othe dogs where, if the owner is sad, the dog seems to reflect that in their behavior. IMO this type of social interactivity is what makes dogs more interesting than some other animals.

Anyway, what I was curious about is whether anyone can recommend any books or websites that discusses Artificial Intelligence mimicking the various aspects of dogs social behaviour with humans?

Thanks in advance,

Reply to
S Claus

Not really AI or dog modelling, but I highly recommend a dog training book called "How to Talk to Your Dog", which ends up defining a language for communication that's a regular language. The author never mentions the therm "regular language" and I don't know whether she knows the term -- if not, it's an even more interesting rediscovery.

Also good is another book titled "How Dogs Think", which turns out to be mostly behavioral but very interesting.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Just get one of these:

John Nagle

Reply to
John Nagle

However, the robot dog in your link is not automatically sensing human moods and responding to them, as S. Claus described in his post.

Reply to
John F. Eldredge

Thanks for the book tip, Joe. Especially the book "How Dogs Think" seem very good.

My reason for wanting to mimick dog behavior is because I wanted to see how much it could be used in a robot called Nao. Nao is a programmable humanoid style robot created by Aldebaran Robotics

I thought that dog-like social interactivity could make Nao interesting for families with young children.

cheers

Reply to
S Claus

I should have thought of that one -- it's another really good book, although it has a lot more to do with how dog vs. human senses differ. One thing I found especially interesting about it is the case it makes for dogs having some subject/object duality.

In my house, we achieve dog-like social interactions with dogs... the Nao could be an interesting experiment, but nothing like going to the source!

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer