Flash burn - dogs?

I was welding in a yard where a dog was being kept and didn't know if the
dog would watch so I chained it out of sight of the work, but I have been
pondering that situation all day... I was alone so I just removed the dog
from view.....
Does anyone know if a dog's instinct will keep it from watching?
Comments?
Reply to
Tom Zachman
I wouldn't count on it. They may be man's best friend, but on a good day, they're not much smarter than a 2-year old.
Screens are fairly cheap. Even a painter's canvas dropcloth on a 3/4" EMT frame would solve this problem. The chain worked too...
JLD
Reply to
Jeff Dantzler
Have you ever seen a dog staring at the sun? If it doesn't involve food I think the dog would loose interest real quick.
Just my two cents...
Eide
>I was welding in a yard where a dog was being kept and didn't know if the > dog would watch so I chained it out of sight of the work, but I have been > pondering that situation all day... I was alone so I just removed the > dog > from view..... > > Does anyone know if a dog's instinct will keep it from watching? > Comments? > > > > >
Reply to
Eide
I must agree. My dogs look at me for about 2 seconds. If I'm not passing out dog cookies, they're off laying in the sun fast asleep. That gives me an idea. He could just put a container of dog treats 180 degrees behind where he's welding. The dog will look at the treats and keep his back turned to the flash. :)
rvb
Reply to
Rick Barter
Mine is not interested in anything I do in the shop. As soon as any machine fires up he is GONE! Quieter stuff like the computer and he just curls up behind me and tunes out.
Tom Zachman wrote: > I was welding in a yard where a dog was being kept and didn't know if the > dog would watch so I chained it out of sight of the work, but I have been > pondering that situation all day... I was alone so I just removed the dog > from view..... > > Does anyone know if a dog's instinct will keep it from watching? > Comments? > > > > >
Reply to
RoyJ
What a funny post. Honest and concerned, yet funny.
I like the dog bone idea best. You might have problems though if you are taking advice from another post and are trying to roast hot dogs on your electodes. :)
Scott
>I was welding in a yard where a dog was being kept and didn't know if the > dog would watch so I chained it out of sight of the work, but I have been > pondering that situation all day... I was alone so I just removed the > dog > from view..... > > Does anyone know if a dog's instinct will keep it from watching? > Comments? > > > > >
Reply to
Scott
I have to agree. Either way a dog is going to get burned I think. :)
rvb
Reply to
Rick Barter
I can picture a dog setting there and watching you weld. I'd be more afraid the dog would come over after you finished welding ,step on something hot and burn his feet.
Reply to
Doug
UV doesn't hurt when it is creating the flash burn. The pain only comes later, usually the next day, after the damage is done. The animal, or a small child, is unlikely to associate the two events. So they won't automatically learn to avoid the arc.
Note that UV is invisible, so the normal instinctive mechanisms of pupil contraction and blinking aren't invoked.
The arc is bright in the visible spectrum too, but not so bright that it is painful to look at from a reasonable distance (*not* welding distance, of course, but say 10 feet or more). So there is no instinctive reaction to blink or look away. You still can get a UV burn from it at the greater distance though. Beyond about 100 feet, the oxygen in the air attenuates the shortwave UV enough to prevent a burn from short casual exposures to normal welding arc intensities.
You need to make arrangements so that animals, young children, and fool adults don't have the opportunity to stare at the arc at distances less than about 100 feet. Much beyond that, you don't have to worry if they happen to glance at the arc, the UV will be attenuated enough to prevent flash burns.
Gary
Reply to
Gary Coffman
Most animals, including cats and dogs, have much less "built in" UV protection than humans (who don't have all that much). My dog likes to be in the shop but is expelled during welding and plasma cutting.
Ted
Reply to
Ted Edwards
Safer to block the glare.
Dogs have a unique perspective of things. If you can't eat it, f**k it, or tear it up, piss on it.
Reply to
Paul Calman
Really? Why is it that my dog can look up at me on a bright, sunny day, with the sun behind me without squinting at all? I understand their pupils have a far bigger range than ours, but . . .
Eide
the above may sound sarcastic, but it is not intended.
Reply to
Eide
Hahahaha. Words to live by! I often wish I was more like my dogs. :)
rvb
Reply to
Rick Barter
Get him a pair of Doggles.

Bill Griffin
That's great! I think my hamster needs some too.
Reply to
Eide
Welding produces a lot of short wavelength UV. So does the sun but the ozone layer absorbs a lot of it. Animal eyes (including ours) are quite well adapted to dealing with the sun but not welding. Also, short lived animals have less adaptation to dealing with UV. Since damage from UV tends to be cumulative, less protection is acceptable from an evolutionary standpoint.
Ted
Reply to
Ted Edwards
If you have a Border Collie, "herd it" is at the top of the list. We often have visitors with a lot of kids. Our dog knows where every one is at all times or we hear about it.
Ted
Reply to
Ted Edwards
Would the doogles auto darkening, or do you have to teach Rover to lower the shield like a pro? If I know my dogs, which both have their on personality's, Boscoe will want to make sure that everything is going all right and be right in the midst of the job, so he would want auto darkening doogles. Now Elvis P, now there is a totally deferent story. He has a lot of places to go and check on, and be the supervisor of. So I'm pretty sure that he would just want the hand held shield version, well it would have to be converted to one that he would hold in his mouth, being as dogs don't have any thumbs. Never ends to frustrate Boscoe not having any thumbs. You ever try to run a bead with a wire welder with no thumbs? Poor ole Boscoe Bear howls through the night in utter anguish of not being able to run a decent weld. All because evolution let hem with no thumbs.
"One out of four people in the U.S. of A. suffer from being mentally unbalanced. The next time you are with three people, and they look and act normal; Guess who is the one that might be two tacos short of a combo plate?"
John Ernst
Reply to
John J Ernst