Lincoln SA-200 price?

What is the going price for a Lincoln SA-200 DC welder? I stopped by to look at one today and the fellow had trouble getting it going so I didn't get chance to try it out.

It needs the exhaust welded back on the manifold.

It's on a trailer.

We got it to run briefly, but not long enough to check the welding or evaluate the engine. Engine is Lincoln L-200 mfg. by Continental.

I know what he's asking for it but don't know what the going price is on this used unit. Don't know how old it is, but could be 30 or 40 years old or more ??

This is NOT a welder / generator. It's only a welder and is in need of a little TLC if he gets it running right so we can test the welding capabilities.

Thanks for your comments.

Al

Reply to
Al Patrick

Running models (of any year) have gone for $2000 minimum for years now, that's people that know what they have. Some people don't know the value of those machines, and in cases like that you sometimes see them go considerably cheaper.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

Ask the seller if you can have a welding repairman check it out. It could cost more than it's worth to repair it. These welders usually had a DC generator capability so that grinders, etc. which can run on AC or DC could be used to prepare or clean up the welds.

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

Thanks. This fellow was asking considerably less than $2000. I found a message on the net shortly after posting this request. Someone described a machine to be in much better condition than this one appears to be in and got a reply that he'd not pay over $500 for it. Yes, there does seem to be some of them going for MUCH more than this man is asking

- but until he has it running properly so we can check it out . . .

Al

==========

JTMcC wrote:

Reply to
Al Patrick

This one had such a receptacle, but the fellow didn't know what it was for. I don't know if it works or not.

I read elsewhere that some of the parts can be VERY expensive.

Reminds me of an aluminum gear cover for the front of a Cummins engine. It probably weighed two pound, was aluminum, and, I was told, Cummins wanted $1000 +/- for it. The man said he could probably get a new aftermarket cover for $500. He paid $375 for a USED one. :-(

No more than I'd use the welder I don't want to get something that's going to cost a bundle to put in good condition. I understand they were super welders and many of them were used for pipeline welding.

Thanks,

Al

Reply to
Al Patrick

They are simple, and cheap to repair and maintain. I know of several 1950's models that are in use on pipeline rigs.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

Yes, a DC welder arc can be quite satisfying to behold and use.

My local dealer had a used engine-drive in his side yard which looked nice but was not worth repairing.

Have you considered the Miller 3500 or 6000 engine drives? The SA-200 engine can get fairly thirsty for gasoline.

Unless it is a true bargain from the cost/condition viewpoint, may want to pass it up.

If mobile welding is not a requirement, a nice 200 amp MIG can do everything but travel.

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

I just asked a fellow about it who knows a bit about a lot of things, including welding. He told me he had welders I could use for free and he'd give me some lessons as well. Seems I can't beat that deal! ;-)

He has a couple of old Lincoln 400 amp welders - both on wheels, but one is engine driven and the other is 480 volt. He also a MIG and another welder or two in his machine shop. One is probably 40 years old but is

100% duty cycle at 160 amps, from the best I can recall.

The other fellow was to give me a call if / when he got the SA-200 going. If he doesn't call me back I'll probably just forget it.

Thanks,

Al

Thomas Kendrick wrote:

Reply to
Al Patrick

The "generator on wheels with a 480V motor" would be a Lincoln Bullet. Want to get my hands on one for a play around, just for the hell of it. Not much use hearing of it when I am over here in the UK. People still buy Lincoln Bullets to do carbon-air-arc-gouging - as they will giving a whacking great current and are highly resilient. All this explained to me as interested student.

Richard Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith