Correct polarity of ancient SA-200 short hood welder?

I have an old SA-200 that is at least as old as I am (I'm a '49 model).

Does anybody know off the top of your head if the battery, starter, and generator system are positive or negative ground?

I'll wager it's negative. But it would be helpful to know for sure.

If nobody knows I'll try to find the appropriate manual on the Lincoln site.

Thanks Vernon

Reply to
Vernon

I don't know the answer to your question but polarity is important for the following reasons. The coil is somewhat polarity sensitive and usually has + and - symbols next to the terminals. It will work with reversed polarity but the engine is more likely to misfire. The ammeter will read backwards if the system polarity is reversed unless you reverse its connections. The voltage regulator may or may not be polarity sensitive and may be stamped or marked for polarity. A polarity sensitive one will work reversed but the contact life will be shortened because some of the contacts are made of different materials on each side. The starter works the same either way. The generator works the same either way except that its residual magnetism has to be reversed ("flashing the field").

So the easiest way to tell would be to check the coil connections or to see which way the ammeter moves when you turn on the ignition switch.

Hope this helps, Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

If you want to know what year it really is, I have the list on my website:

Starters were a not to often used option on those machines up until the early 1970's. A lot of old machines have been retrofitted over the years. A

40's model with a starter would be fairly unusual. You need to get the manual.

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

Thanks to everybody.

And thank you for sharing your list. Based on it the welder is a late

1950 model.

That means I'm even older than it is. Thanks a LOT!

But at least I have better paint. ;o)

VT

Reply to
Vernon

Reply to
JTMcC

may be....but the old Continental can be completely rebuilt (innexpensively, using semi skilled help, in a barn if need be) several times ;)

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC