flash burn

whats the best way to deal with flash burn? eyedrops, cold compress? my eyes are killing me thanks, cj

Reply to
cj

I went to the local clinic where they put some numbing eye drops in my eyes. I'll never be stupid about proper eye protection again. Felt like my eyes were pulled away from their sockets & had sand dumped behind them.

Reply to
Stephen Young

I was flashed with tig once, for a fraction of a second, and nothing happened.

Ignoramus3242

If there's pain or severe discomfort, then I'd say your eyes warrant a trip to your local ophthalmologist for an exam. Your eyes are too precious to leave it up to hopes, wishes, and possible denial.

Good luck, Michael

Reply to
DeepDiver

Yea, but believe me, one of those "fractions of a second" is gonna catch up with you. I have had flash burn I think two times and it ain't fun at all. I have all the respect in the world for arc flashed. Bill.

Reply to
lathenut

Till you can get to a clinic I've heard that raw potato slices can help but I've never had a bad enough burn to try it out so I can't say for sure.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Get your butt to the ER. I've had flash burn a whole bunch of times and it is severe pain.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Ayup... I get the "sand behind the eyeballs" for a few hours, then it turns into something a lot like a migraine, only without the nausea I'm unfortunate enough to know first hand comes with a true migraine, for anywhere from 12 to 36 hours. Not a trace of fun to be found, believe me!

Yep, I try to avoid it whenever possible. The misery just ain't worth it.

Reply to
Don Bruder

Eye-drops for UV-overdoses. The ones we get here are called Dura-Ultra. One drop left, one right and it's gone.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

I have. And yes..they do work. Squeeze them out on the eyes. Lay on your back with them over the eyes.

Ymmv, works for me..may not for you.

Gunner

Gunner

I agree with Wayne. The old method of using raw potato slices worked as well as anything. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 07:41:56 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

Do you know if it was the juice from the potato in your eye which performed the trick?

Speaking of eyes, I woke up this morning with my right eye crusted over. I was doing some landscaping work last Sunday when something (probably Jo Gro, a community compost) got in it. Eyedrops, flushings, eye wash cup, irrigation, and a heavy duty irrigation by my optometrist (who didn't charge me!) haven't removed it yet, so I see the ophthalmologist today. I am NOT looking forward to this trip.

-- SAVE THE PARROTS! Eschew the use of poly! ----------

Poly-free Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I was told by an old time eye doctor, here in the oil fields, that it was the amino acids in the potato juice. Shrug..YMMV

Gunner

terrymycine is a broad spectrum antibiotic for eye use. A small tube is about $18 at the feed and grain, or pet shops.

Gunner

Gunner

A couple of fresh wet teabags work really well. (I've always used Earl Gray or equivalent, not sure if girly herbal tea would do the trick;->)

Reply to
Pete Snell

You can get pain reducing eye drops from the doctor but they slow down the healing process.

Reply to
Modat22

"Modat22" wrote

I got the mother of all flash burns once from a 400-gram magnesium dust explosion. It was intense enough that I got third-degree burns on my arm and face from the UV radiation -- the flame never touched me (evidenced by the presence of completely un-burnt hair in the burnt skin).

The opthalmologist I attended said that reducing inflammation was the _first_ step toward speeding healing of the conjunctiva; that inflammation 'products' your body makes actually retard healing. Same's true of some forms of arthritis. You can't heal the joint til you get the swelling down.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

The burn could also be due to infrared radiation.

I feel for you. As I said, I was flashed recently and was quite afraid, but nothing happened. I stopped the spark and closed my eyes almost instantly.

Ignoramus21002

"Ignoramus21002" wrote

Nope, my arm and face hair are black, my skin "white". It bleached the hair, but didn't frizz it.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

I should have also said that it did not burn my clothing or any nearby objects that weren't directly struck by the fireball. The dermatology guy said my arm looked just like folks' exposed to a nuclear illumination.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh