OT-Shock Collars-Dogs

Anyone got a "training collar" that would be interesting in selling it?

Ive a lady friend with a problem dog, and this is the last resort before putting the dog down.

The dog is great around familiar people, but tends to nut roll around strangers..no one bitten yet..but scared the hell out of a few people. Overly protective, aggressive.

She is worried..(quite rightly) about it biting someone and while the muzzle Ive provided her is a stop gap measure, the time has come to put a collar on the sob and stun his ass the moment he starts being aggressive. The alternative is killing the dog, and as its her best friend..shrug

Ive got an older Innotek remote setup, but the collar receiver is a sealed unit and the rechargable battery has died. Im told by others that its a potted unit (filled with silicone) and is impossible to replace the battery. Ive got an email into the manufactures support..and will call..and as a last resort, will use a slitting saw on the case and pop it open and see what I can do...but..shrug. I bought this unit about 15yrs ago from a buddy who was upgrading to a collar with a longer range, used it for a couple days on a dog who used to bolt whenever he was outside..which cured him very quickly..then put it away and just now dug it out to find the battery is toast.

The lady is looking to purchase another one if this one cannot be fixed..but she is, like everyone else..not very well off.

Thanks

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Any idea what kind of battery? It's probably Ni-Cd, but what size and how many cells? Even if you can't duplicate it, you can certainly duplicate the voltage if you know the cell count. See

for some possibilities.

Surgery on RTV (silicone) isn't too hard with an exacto knife, Dremel, and sometimes a hot soldering iron. Lemme know if you'd like a hand with this project, pro-bono of course. I have 2-part RTV on hand for repotting.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Call Uncle Matty.

Serving Dog Owners Worldwide. Training is handled out of Southern California. Administration/operations are in Diamond Springs, California. General Store ships worldwide from Salt Lake City, UT. Mailing Address P.O. Box 3300, Diamond Springs, CA 95619 Main Telephone: 800-670-9663 Fax: 530-621-7114 Training Information: 800-334-3647 Career Information: 800-670-9663

General Store Customer Service 800-670-9663

Hours: Mon-Fri 9AM to 5PM Pacific Time

:/ Halcitron

Reply to
Halcitron

And the new cells don't absolutely *have* to fit inside the space for the old ones. If there's any doubt that the unit still works, you might consider splicing in a few regular alkaline D cells to match the voltage (nicads are what, 1.2 volts?) just to check it out before going whole hog (er, dog) on it.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Don't overlook the possibility of mounting the battery pack on the outside of the collar, and running a pair of leads into the circuit.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

The wall wart that is the charger..is 12vts dc, 100 ma.

The receiver unit is a monolithic block about 1.25 x 1.75, just looking at it..and contains the coded receiver, battery and high voltage generator. I can just bearly make out where the join was..or should be..so thats where Ill make the slice using a .07 saw blade in the mill. Given its age..Im betting its a nicad pack..very small one

Ive got GE potting compound, though no idea if its any good anymore ..chuckle..its been a while since Ive used it.

Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I've got some battery packs for Tritronics units-- they are three NiMH AAA cells in a heat shrink pack with a little connector on them. Let me know if one of those would be any help.

BTW, apparently it's not good to try to solder to ordinary NiMH cells because of the internal structure, like many of us have done with NiCd cells.

Best regards,

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Ah, you seem to be missing a key point here - namely the intent behind the post in the first place.....

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Cliff..is pointless..as usual.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

My usual response to people considering a remote collar is that they get some professional advice. They work well, if used correctly, but they are very easy to misuse.

But if you have one, you may well have learned how to use it. But have you used it to deal with aggression?

Using aversives to control aggression is a very tricky area - it's very easy to make the dog a lot worse, if you don't do it right.

As for the batteries, I don't know about the Innotek. I've been told that Dogtra and Tritronics are simply o-ring sealed. Not that it's not easy to screw up an o-ring when closing things back together.

I will say that the last thing you want to put on a dog is an improperly functioning collar. If it delivers the stim late, or an inconsistent levels, your better off without it. And if, God forbid, it shorts...

It's not an area I'd recommend people be cheap.

Reply to
Jeff Dege

around

people.

battery

Just be careful if she says she wants to buy you a shirt for being so helpful and asks to measure your neck : )

Reply to
Rick

I think it's rather that they become like their owners.

Gio

Reply to
Gio Medici

You're talking to a cat lover who still thinks that training the Vietnamese was a good idea. And he wants a tighter collar on them damned Iraqis too. He definitely needs a model that will stand up to shocking the same dog thousands of times with no results.

Gio

Reply to
Gio Medici

Dealing with an aggressive dog is a tricky affair. Like a prior poster recommended, get professional advice from a qualified dog trainer. They can make a proper evaluation. I have known if situations where the only solution was to put the dog down. A terrible outcome, but far better outcome than an attacked person. Trainers have taught me techniques that would have not come up with on my own.

Bob

Reply to
rleonard

I know those dogs... they change dramatically if you expose them to lots o people.

But you can't just bring them there, you have to be involved with getting to know the other people (and their dogs.) The dog takes the que somehow and changes his/her ideas about others.

Socialization is the key. :)

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Correct, as does having control of the dog in the first place, i.e., the dog owner establishing and reinforcing herself as alpha. Of course, then you get into the area of human behavior with some women (and men, for that matter) not being comfortable establishing themselves as an alpha, in which case a professional dog trainer will help train the human how to assert themselves in the relationship.

Dogs are easy to train; training people to understand the factors that influence behavior is the tough part.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:55:09 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

Which means he is never worth a reply, boys and girls. Why must so many of you continue to reply to all of his posts?

I thought you guys were smarter than that.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Actually incorrect. That's gunner's comment above.

I commented because this was a case where the cliffmeister didn't actually spam with an ot crossposted troll. And yet he still didn't grasp the concepts being put forth. It just seemed a bit much even for him.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

These things don't work with all dogs. Once they discover that the blitz only lasts for a few seconds and then they are through the "fence" and free to travel miles, the war is lost. We had a neighbor that had a dog that had figured this out, and no collar would deter him. They got a collar so powerful it would knock him out. His solution was to charge through the fence with enough velocity so his parylyzed budy would roll through the zone and he'd come to rest outside. A couple seconds later, he'd come to, and prance off. Not only that, he taught their OTHER dog the same trick. Then, they had TWO wanderers.

Yeah, if you had the thing stored for 15 years, the Ni Cads are toast. There's nothing potted so well a determined person can't get inside, if he's careful.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

He's talking about a remote training collar, not an electric fence. They stim when the trainer hits a button on the transmitter, not when the dog gets too close to a boundary line.

That said, if you introduce the collar to the dog incorrectly, he may well learn that the appropriate response to a stim is to run away as fast as he can. It's why you should get someone with experience to guide you through that first session.

Reply to
Jeff Dege