OT-Shock Collars-Dogs

What people call "aggressiveness" in dogs can be any of a number of different behaviors. Fear aggressiveness is very different from dominance aggressiveness is very different from plain old viciousness.

Trying to use techniques appropriate for dealing with a dominant aggressive dog can make the problem worse if you really have a fear aggressive dog, and can get people badly hurt if you really have a vicious dog.

That's why it's so important to get someone who has real experience dealing with aggressiveness to observe the dog.

Reply to
Jeff Dege

You have several choices but fixing a 15 year old electronic collar isn't going to be one of them. There is an outfit called the Collar Clinic I think, or something like that. You can find out with at Google search. They sell new and refurbished dog collars so you can get them at a good price. But an electronic collar is just a training device, meaning that the owner has to "train" the dog. If the owner isn't up to doing that then the collar is a waste of money. Just getting the collar is no guarantee of anything. I just bought a Tritronics unit in September and am very happy with the way it has allowed me to correct some problems I had with my dog. If you are willing to spend the time training the dog the collar is a good solution. If you can't do it yourself then you need to go to some different alternatives.

There was a dog expert on the Oprah Winfrey show a while back I think they called him the dog whisperer and he's in Southern California some place. He is a real wizard with dogs. I'm sure he could help but I doubt he'd be available. But the point is there are plenty of other people that can help with dog training. Any decent dog trainer can break a dog of aggressive behavior. It is rare indeed to find a dog that can't be trained. But if your friend had such a dog even then putting it down is not a good solution. Usually a dog can be relocated to another home and/or owner that can deal with the problem. Better to find a different home for the dog than to have it killed.

Aggression in dogs is a common problem, finding a dog trainer to correct this problem should not be too difficult or too expensive. Between the electronic collar as a training device and consultation with a professional trainer, breaking a dog from overly aggressive behavior isn't a big deal. But I'm not surprised that it is a woman that has the problem. Most women don't have the ability to command respect from many dogs. Get the dog and the owner some training and then she will most likely be able to handle it.

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

Adjusting his nuts( metal content) i.e removal of same, is often effective in reducing aggression in dogs

"Enoch Root" wrote >> Anyone got a "training collar" that would be

Reply to
Tom Miller

Oddly enough..this dog reminds me of you, Gio. Moderatly stupid, it smells, tends to lick its ass in public, and has no balls

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams

Reply to
Gunner

I thank you for the suggestions. Ive had some small amounts of training on the subject over the years, and have several professional K9 trainers in my net work.

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams

Reply to
Gunner

Very true. I have some experience in this...shrug...

The dog responds well with me, but the owner....tends to be something of a softy..and has soft control of the lead. The dog has been socialized with a number of dogs, cats and people, including public parks. With me..the dog has good manners, with her..he nut rolls unexpectedly. He has been neutered about 2 yrs ago, no complications, etc etc It did little to fix the problem.

He was taken to a professional trainer, who trained both the dog and the woman. The dog did well for about 4 months..then reverts occasionally.

I suspect its a protection thing..but its hard to determine the exact cause, or trigger.

He/she needs to revisit a trainer..but she is unable to afford the fees. Shrug.

So intelligent aversion training is indicated at this point.

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams

Reply to
Gunner

First thing I tried. I do repair CNC machinery for a living But thanks all the same.

I called the manufacture yesterday morning and they of course dont support the device any longer, but did offer to knock $50 off the price of a new one..bringing the total down to about $200.....

So it looks like time for a bit of surgery.

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams

Reply to
Gunner

Good luck and let us know what you find. Sometimes potted stuff can be a real pain. I still have the ignition module for a kawasaki KLR250 that I'm trying to dismantle.

The stinkers loaded the epoxy potting compound with grains of coarse quartz.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

In Re: OT-Shock Collars-Dogs on Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:35:00 -0500, by Cliff, we read:

Dogs don't judge character, they judge distance.

Reply to
Strabo

In Re: Cafe, the petting zoo for dogs, was Re: OT-Shock Collars-Dogs on Mon, 21 Nov 2005 16:36:48 -0800, by Jon Danniken, we read:

Bingo!

Animals are taken from their natural environment by humans and made neurotic by human interaction. The problem is that you're counseling people who are more screwed up than their animals.

Reply to
Strabo

In Re: Cafe, the petting zoo for dogs, was Re: OT-Shock Collars-Dogs on Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:44:31 GMT, by Gunner, we read:

For the owner I presume.

Here's a man who knows...

Strabo

But it's a rare dog that's worth the effort.

Gio

Reply to
Gio Medici

It didn't seem to be mentioned, but a choke chain is a easy way for a woman to establish dominance with a larger dog. Pratice good leash technique. Teach the dog to heel. Then always leave the choke chain on for quick control.

Reply to
DL

Choke chains are hideous inventions, and can cause severe injury to the dog.

If you're going to do leash corrections, use a prong collar. They're a lot safer.

Reply to
Jeff Dege

What happened? Did the mutt call you an asshole and scatter kitty litter and catshit all over your trailer?

And now what? Gonna shock him for a few months and get yourself bit every time, then have some target practice? Or maybe you and muttsy are gonna make a snuff film?

"What are you doing to Lassie, Gunner?" ----- Timmy

Gio

Good sig..... too bad you don't insist that your elected trash live up to it too.

Reply to
Gio Medici

No, a bullet was the solution long ago, and you are the one being the 'softy'. Name the mutt Neo.

Gio

Reply to
Gio Medici

Thanks for verifying my claim once again.

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams

Reply to
Gunner

But it would be illegal to simply shoot you out of hand. Her dog on the other hand..may be savable, and thats what Im going to try to do. But thanks for the suggestion Neo.

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams

Reply to
Gunner

Without criminals there would be no cops, I guess. You like cops, don't you? Become a criminal.

Gio

Reply to
Gio Medici

Actually..I was a cop once. But I didnt like what I was turning into..and the people I met in the course of a business day tended to make me cynical, bitter and a bit cold towards the plights of others. These are called variously, criminals, losers, nut cases, Gios.

Gunner

Gunner Asch