SolidWorks model of a suitcase or luggage

Hi,

I am an engineering student from the University of British Columbia and for one of my projects I need a model of a suitcase (or similiar luggage). Unfortunately, I am not very good at solidworks and the only suitcase that I can make looks like the work of a 3rd grader. So, does anyone know of anywhere that I can get a solidworks model of a suitcase? I can be reached by email at snipped-for-privacy@interchange.ubc.ca

I'd appreciate any help.

thx in advance, Aria

Reply to
Aria

Aria, Sure, no problem! Why don't yu send me all of your math and english homework as well. In fact if have any laundry I'd be willing to do that too.

I don't think the point of the exercise was to see how good your NG begging skills are.

C'mon! If your having problems send a link to a file or some jpegs that will explain your problem, and let us help you get better at SW ( the point of this NG). Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. But teach a man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.

Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

It may be that the luggage is only the beginning of the project.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Don't listen to these guys, so one might call you very reasourceful. If someone else is willing to do your work let them. Only Problem is it costs money. In business corners are cut all the time. If you can outsource something for cheaper do it. So with that said I will do your homework it will only cost a small 65 dollars an hour it will take about two for me to make a bad ass suit case, that will get you an A. And when the class gets tuffer I will do all of the assignments for you, the hourly rate stays the same but how long it will take me to model will increase with the difficulty. Good luck in life after you graduate sounds like you will need it! LOL

Reply to
shaun

haha you guys are hilarious. The point is that the project is not about SolidWorks or any other CAD programs. In fact, it is not even about graphical designs. It is an electromechanical project which uses an Integrated Circuit chip (Motorola 68HC11) to calculate a few things about the contents of a suitcase. So as you can see, it is not my job to even build anything with SolidWorks (The project is about building a digital circuit and a PLC). A SolidWorks model of a suitcase will merely look nice for demonstrating the purpose of this project.

So why SolidWorks and not Inventor, ProE, or Unigraphix? Because I have it at home!

And Shaun, I would never pay for this because I'm not getting paid for it myself. So looking at it through your eyes, it would make no "business sense" to pay for these RESOURCES, right? (notice the spelling). So, I suggest you invest that two hours and $130 in a dictionary and some spelling lessons. LOL.

Reply to
Aria

Hi Muggs,

Like I explained to Shaun below, this is not my homework; in fact, it's not even really what the project is about. The project is about setting up an electromechanical system using some digital logic and a PLC to guage the contents of a suitcase. You see, when I went to the supply room, no one told me to go build my suitcase or PLC before I can use it for testing, same here.

As for my problem, my biggest issue is that I can't get the texture right. It seems that there is nothing in solid works that would make a suitcase look like a suitcase. The rest seems do-able (even though I am very pressed for time). So, do you know of any built-in textures that I should use? or how can I add in my own textures? In which case, would I have to go build the texture graphic file myself too? (Maybe I should post something in the Photoshop Newsgroup ;)

Thx, Aria

PS: How do you guys then justify the 3-D content central that SolidWorks has setup? My idea: don't reinvent the wheel.

Reply to
Aria

Well Aria, My appologies, and welcome to the NG.

We ocationally get requests here on the NG from peeps looking to have thier homework done for them, and in that case I aggre with Shaun; Good luck later in life. But as for peeps like me who are trying to make a living, I agree, that there's no reason to reinvent the wheel. In fact much of my time is spend reverse engineering the way manufacturers already do things. So in that case

3D content Central is a nice resourse.

Sorry if I souded gruff,and good luck on your project! Muggs

Reply to
Muggs

For custom textures like that, I understand that taking a digital photo, cropping, cleaning, ect. of a small area of a texture that you like, will give you decent results with small time investment.

As far as the suitcase itself. You will probably have better luck on something like that looking for a 3ds file of one. I am pretty sure there are export/import options to get them into SW.

Disclaimer: never needed a custom texture myself but have read a bit on it.

Reply to
Brian

What properties of the suitcase contents are you trying to gage? Mass and moments of inertia? Acceleration?

Reply to
That70sTick

Mass, Moment of Inertia, Temperature, and other things. Why?

Reply to
Aria

Just curious. I do a lot of weight/balance mechanism problems in my design work.

It seems a little incongruous to be spending that much time on the appearance of the suitcase for an engineering project.

There were lots of nice fabric textures built into SW when I just checked. Why not one of those?

Reply to
That70sTick

such as what? I honestly haven't found even one that begins to look descent. And yes, I know time shouldn't be spent on building this suitcase which is why i was hoping someone would already have one they're willing to share.

Anyways, please let me know which fabric you thought suits a suitcase.

Thx.

Reply to
Aria

Actually, the way I heard it was build a fire for a man who is cold and you will help keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life.

Laz

Reply to
Laz

Simmer down young one, seems like this college student needs to get laid.

Reply to
shaun

.. ;^)

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Paul,

Like the Bob & Doug McKenzie Logo

To make it authentic you need to replace the "Take Off" sticker with the grammatically correct Canadianese "Take Off eh" or better yet "Take off eh -- you hoser!"

Len "Canucklehead ' Eh" Mar

Reply to
lmar

See Shaun, you're not very smart and it comes across every time. When you say something like that, do you have any idea what doors you have opened to me? I'll let you feel like you had the last words because as Karl Marx has wisely pointed out, "Last words are for fools who haven't said enough."

Reply to
Aria

lol, so what would an American slogan be?

"USA: where we love jesus, our guns, and our cousins"? heeeeeeeha!

Reply to
Aria

Gee, this just 2 weeks after I read a WSJ article about how Saudis PREFER to marry cousins.

Koran-thumping rednecks not much different from the American Bible-thumping variety afer all.

Reply to
That70sTick

come on guys, he just asked for a suitcase and everyone unloads their baggage...

Reply to
neil