SP 4 available,,,won't install

Everyone,

Just downloaded SP4, get message "can't access Bla-bla-bla" on original disk

  1. Everything "IS" as it should be. The disk is the original, and it's in the right drive. Browse to the file and click on it,,,same message. What a POS

Mark

Reply to
MM

Paul,

WIN2K SP4

Just tried it at home,,,,same thing

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

Working with Windows can be a real pain when things are reflected like that.

As a pure unadulterated side note from Microsoft, they formally announced to all their business customers as of last week that they are stopping all support of Win2000.

One aquaintence of mine was involved in programming industrial applications and used Windows on the strength of promises from Microsoft to provide industrial strength solutions. Within 2 years my friend's Fortune 500 customers were asking what OS they were going to move to next.

The only viable alternative at that point was Unix, and it still is the only reliable, safe, strong choice.

Bo

Mark Mossberg wrote:

Reply to
Bonobo

Bonobo,

Agreed,

MS doesn't give technical computing "thought one" when designing their "flavor of the month OS's". With XP64 here, and Longhorn just around the corner it's goin to be a real mess soon. The thing I find hilarious is that allot of poeple really think it's going to be better, cracks me up. XP64 will likely be slower, and quirkier. Longhorn will be a resource gobbling pig for sure. Hardware isn't moving fast enough to keep up, and now you have all new sets of problems to deal with. I would think it would be cheaper for SW to port to Linux rather than keep up with all this crap. One things for sure, they'd get allot more service life from Linux than anything MS offers. There's going to come a time, in the next year and a half or so, when the SW-MS situation gets so bad, folks will do anything just to be able to get work done again. This is when Pro-E-Linux will start taking off big time. Personally, I'll probably switch as soon as they have a fully functioning, stable port. They're in no hurry now, but they'll see the writing on the wall.

I've been doing CAD for 20 years. I've seen alot of really excellent applications (Applicon, Euclid, and others) fade away or die all together for many different reasons. Of all of them, complacency is the biggest killer. SW has this in abundance.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

'Of all of them, complacency is the biggest killer. SW has this in abundance'.

Mark, Not meaning to hijack this thread but my take on this is that they are not so much complacent as self limited by the belief that the program is part of the mid range/level mainstream and that therefore to continue to have tools of similar capability to the other 2 offerings is nothing more than they need do....a sort of identity problem or self defeating conformity rather than being symptomatic of undue comfort. To my mind there is an unwillingness to truly extend the ability of the program because it steps on the toes of 3rd party add-ons and also because Catia should not be undermined. If there was a free hand to develop the program as users desire - open source Blender is an example that comes to mind - SW would be innovating and moving ahead and certainly not afraid to gut and redo the parts that don't work well. Support for Linux would be likely to come about and they would be taking on ProE. Presently they spend too much time covering bases with their perceived competition and in seeking to be pretty and user friendly underestimate users technical ability and aspirations. They cannot just top out at a level that will do enough to get by. If they don't set their sights on the next rung the product is going to stagnate and be bypassed. No amount of fluff will disguise inability to do the job and do it efficiently. As an example of this SW simply doesn't cut it for ID requirements now. The surface tools are not up to developing products of a quality necessary to compete globally for the consumers dollar. Flex and deform are not tools for serious work, were never were going to be, and SW should not pretend they are and promote their use. Not even in passing as being useful for quick shape exploration. Hopefully they will push pass this mentality or purge the people keeping the lid on progress. Having said that they still have to get a hold of the SP troubles because they can't afford to offside too many people who just need the thing to work.

neil

Reply to
neil

As of June Win2k is not supported. Time to change (note I did not say upgrade) to XP. SW probably did not test installation on Win2k and they probably won't support it. Yet another excuse not to provide support.

Just one question. Did you try a clean install and then jumping from SP0 to SP4?

Reply to
TOP

A caution: I have had CDs from SolidWorks which flaked out or didn't work. I suspect all it takes is one bad bit due to a scratch or who knows what.

My VAR replaced the bad CD with a new set instantly.

Bo

T> As of June Win2k is not supported. Time to change (note I did not say

Reply to
Bonobo

I thought I remembered that SW 2006 would be the last release that supported Win2k. Guess I was wrong.

Sounds like it will be real pain for me to move up to SW2006 if I also need to change my OS. My production workstation is only 18months old and in real good shape.(amd athlon64 3400+ ; 2gb ram ; nVidia xgl1100)

Will XP install right over the top of Win2k? Will I need to get new office software as well-ie, excel?? Sounds like a real PITA. At least my notebook is already on XP. I suppose I can use that to determine when SW2006 is ready for prime time and deal with OS issues then.

jk

Reply to
jk

Don't even think of doing ANYTHING with your 'old' Win2K hard drive. Keep it as an archive.

Buy a new hard drive and load WinXP with all the latest SP and Updaters. Chances are your MSOffice Pro will install on Win2000 & Win XP as mine does.

Bo Clawson

Reply to
Bonobo

JK,

Solidworks will be supporting Win2K "through" SW2006, at Win2K SP4.

Mark

Reply to
MM

According to this, "After SW2006", Windows 2000 Professional will not be supported..

Otherwise, SW2005 and SW2006 should be supported under Windows 2000 Profressional.

..

Reply to
Paul Salvador

I considered staying with Win2000 for suggested speed increases, but one final tidbit made me switch.

The final piece was the ease of transferring small files out side of the normal network methods (Ethernet, FireWire, WiFi).

BlueTooth file transfers basically eliminate my need to interfere with other running operations or to do USB Key or other transfer methods for all but large files.

Reply to
Bonobo

Same thing here, going 3.0 to 4.0

Win XP SP 2

Eric

Reply to
Eric

"The installation source (CD or local/network folder) for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it. (1612-0)"

Roland

Reply to
Roland

It would be ironic if the O/S situation put Pro-E more in the hunt again at the expense of Solidworks. Going to Windows seemed like a good idea not too many years ago. Bill

Reply to
rider89

The only thing I can think of is there might be a Window update which has something SolidWorks needs, if indeed the SWks CDs are OK.

I upgraded EVERYTHING on Windows XP OS & Hardware side before Installing SWks 2005 SP0 from CD.

The later 3.1 and 4.0 SWks SPs installed and worked just fine, with requisite insertion of CD #1, & #2.

Bo

Reply to
Bonobo

Roland,

Yep, that was my message and error.

Turns out, my 2005 wouldn't uninstall either !!!! Gave an error saying it wasn't a valid windows install WTF !!!!

I ended up having to uninstall it manually by deleting the folders and editing the registry, what a PITA !!! SW scatters entries all over the registry, including HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. Most of these are removed with normal uninstall.

Just LUUUUUUUV that "Windows Installer". It's Sooooo much "BETTER" than Install Shield isn't it folks ??????

Anyway, took most of a day, but I got it cleaned out and reinstalled.

Now I've found that SP4 has a bunch of new bugs (mate icon doesn't always work, and a bunch of other mate weirdness) and I wish I'd stayed where I was

Mark

Reply to
MM

My advice wait for SP4.1 on this one!

I installed SP4.0EV and now SP4.0 it did fix some of the disappearing drawing issues, which was the main reason I installed it as I couldn't batch print anything reliably. There is hell of a lot of fixes in this SP (They are bound to stuff up with this many fixes)

Just checked on the number of SPR's "fixed" = Three hundred and forty one! in SP4.0, I didn't count them just copied them all to excel and let it count them for me. There were 217 in SP3.0

I was having issues with mates in 4.0ev lots of error flags but no actual mate errors.

Still having issues with PDMWorks crashing to desktop when "include drawings" is checked in options. I can check-in all drawings manualy -- a bit of a pain in the ____ but workable. Note I uploaded a 50Mb assembly and PDMWorks data to SolidWorks support regarding this on the

30 June - with Zero response regarding this since.

So I would advise if your not having too much of an issue with SP3.1 then stick with it. I'm sure SP4.1 or maybe even a 4.2 will come out in a couple of weeks.

Regards

John Layne

MM wrote:

Reply to