Slightly OT: RealFlight G2 and Vista

Good Evening. I recently brought a new home computer into service, and
am trying to load my existing software on it. The new computer has
Windows Vista, whereas the old one used Windows 98. When I tried to
load my RealFlight G2 software on it, the new computer kept displaying
error messages that certain files couldn't be read. Thus, the attempt
at installing was deemed a failure.
Has anyone been successful at using RealFlight G2 on a Vista-based
computer? Or should I try to spring for a newer RealFlight? I have
found RealFlight to be an important flight proficiency tool.
Thanks,
Harry Sanchez
snipped-for-privacy@jetlink.net (for now)
Reply to
hsanchez
Windows Vista is real good about not working with older programs. RF G3 is more likely to work in Vista though I can't garantee it. G4 will work. Check the classified sections of
and
, There are always listings for G3 there.
Good luck.
Reply to
Vance
I'm not a Vista expert (and don't play one on TV), but I have heard that Vista can be made to emulate an XP system and you can run some older programs that way.
Ron Kelley
Reply to
Ron
You might want to check out the forums at:
They are the software geeks who developed Real Flight for Great Planes. There is still an active forum for G2 there, and one guy says he knows how to run G2 with Vista. Check it out. Go to knifeedge, forums, and then pass up G4 and G3 to get to G2. Then start reading.
If you decide to get one of the newer versions, you can get G3 (which converts to 3.5 free) a little cheaper than G4 which, in my view, isn't all that much better. As someone else pointed out, you can probably get a better price on rcuniverse or rcgroups rather than eBay.
Harlan
Reply to
H Davis
| You might want to check out the forums at:
Probably the best answer.
Also note that RFG2 was the newest version for a long time (until some competition came to wake Knife Edge -- they were already on top, so they stopped trying) but there were minor changes made from time to time, and the CDs shipped got updated as well. In any event, depending on when you got RFG2, you might have one of several different versions. The earlier versions (such as the ones that came with the joystick interface controller) would not work with more modern patch levels of XP or many modern (at the time) graphics cards. In some cases, you had to get patches from Knife Edge just to install it -- it couldn't install enough of itself to install the control panel that would let it download patches.
And as mentioned, if you're looking for something better, RFG3 is a big improvement over RFG2 in many ways. RFG3.5 (a free download to upgrade RFG3) is a small improvement, and RFG4 is another small improvement.
Reply to
Doug McLaren
Two things to try which work on many programs that run on Windows 98 or XP: 1: Instead of letting the disk autorun, cancel the setup when it starts. click the My Computer icon. Right click on the drive that the CD is in. Click Explore. Find the Setup.exe file. Right Click it and select properties. On the compatibility tab select either Windows 98 or XP SP2.
2: Do the above until you see the Setup.exe file in Explorer. Right click on it and select "run as administrator"
No promises, but it should at least get the program to install.
Good Luck, PCPhill
BTW: Also make sure the disc is clean! dirt or scratchs(especially on the printed side) will prevent a good read. Dirt can be cleaned, scratches on the top turn it to a coaster permene
ntly!
Reply to
PCPhill
FWIW, scratches on a CD can often be removed by polishing it with an auto polish or a car wax with a cleaner in it. Be patient, it can take some rubbing, but it works.
Randy
Reply to
BCRandy
This sounds like a problem with your drive not being able to read your CD properly.
Try copying the entire CD to your hard drive. If that also fails, you have a hardware problem. Some drives have problems with some discs, while the same disc can work perfectly in many other drives.
Reply to
Robert Roland
Actually there is a problem with Vista where certain files, notably .ocx files get registered improperly and you will get an error message that a certain .ocx file cannot be read or it is missing. The solution is to unregister the file and then Vista will read it and register it again, hopefully corrrectly the next time. Sounds flaky, and it is, but then again it is Mickeysoft so what else can we expect?
The registry in Vista is a quagmire of problems and will remain so until there is a service release to fix it.
Reply to
George
Not necessarily. The whole thing beds Active-X to run, and if its looking for the libraries in the windows directory, and they are now completely different by name...
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
That works with the shiny(back side of the disk) side. Any scratch going through the painted/printed side of the disc usually damages the substrate and can't be fixed.( although some data recovery is possible). Trying to fix the non-shiny side will only extend the damage.
PCPhill
Reply to
PCPhill
The data is on a reflective layer just under the label of the disc. The laser passes through the bottom of the disc and is reflected back through to the sensor. The bottom can be polished because there's nothing important on it. Scartch the top well and it's toast.
PCPhill
Reply to
PCPhill

Site Timeline