Any help with SP installs ?

Gents,

Just tried to upgrade to SP4 from 3, and of course SW is asking for the original disk. Since I used the DVD, I (incorrectly) assumed that SW would find it's file on the DVD. I had to do a search and point directly at it.

Then it asks for Disk 2. I put the CD in, and SW can't find the file it needs even though I can find it on the disk. Worse yet, this time it doesn't give me the option to point directly at it. Install had to be cancelled.

Anyway, after 10+ years of use, I'm becoming frustrated with SW and all the small BS. There was a time when you could install it, and it actually worked right out of the box!

Thx in advance for any pointers, C

Reply to
Carl Howarth

Has anything in the system changed so that the DVD's drive letter has changed? Is d: now e:? If the install media path has changed, you will need to either change it back somehow, reinstall SW from the new path, or find and change the registry key that stores the path to the install media.

If the path to the install media is exactly the same as before, then your VAR needs to be on the phone with you immediately, fixing the issue.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Same 'ol system - nothing has changed. I'll be talking to my VAR support today.

Thanks for trying!

Carl Howarth

Carl,

I've seen this myself and it is very odd! But try a cold boot (not a reboot, shutdown and wait a minute) then restart and try to reinstall? It could be a damaged DVD or CD (or your CD/DVD drive acting wierd) but that easiest way to get around this (stop pulling out your hair) is to remove SW (remove all the registries) and do a clean reinstall! Someone has a link (do a google search) on doing a clean reinstall... it's worth it to eliminate any possible reason... "why" it's doing what it is doing.

..

Reply to
zxys

Hi Carl

I've had the same problem, lost hair trying to solve the issue, doesn't seem to have affected everyone. pulled this of the SolidWorks website.

Solution ID: S-012870

Why am I prompted to insert disc 4 during my service pack installation of

2007 Service Pack 2.2, 3.1, 4? Why do I receive error 1311 when applying service pack 2.2, 3.1, 4? Why can the install not locate tb3.cab?

Answer: This issue is can be caused by a specific series of upgrade steps. This can be caused by certain toolbox parts not being in the expected directory. An immediate solution to this issue is to download SP22_1311_error_fix.zip which is attached to this Solution.

WORKAROUND: Please extract the contents of the zip file in the attachment to: \Browser\ANSI Inch\washers\ then try the service pack installation again. (The path for can be found by browsing to your \Toolbox directory, and viewing "toolbox.ini." The "ToolboxPartFolder=" paramater path should be used for in the above path)

This issue has been resolved for future new installs of the software but may still effect existing installations being upgraded.

Note all the above didn't work for me (it's been a while so can't remember exactly what I did) think I uninstalled cleaned the registry- reinstalled and went from SP0 to 4.0 directly.

John Layne

John Layne

Thank you, John! I tried poking on their site.... but it was clunkin' bad.

Carl Howarth

isn't technology wonderful...

Reply to
neil