VRML File not readable? HELL-P

Hi,

I have a file from a client that reads just fine with SolidView (lite version is free see:

The file will not open in SolidWorks 2006 sp3.3. The file is a valid version 2 VRML (.wrl) file. Again this file open fine with the freeware version of SoilidView.

I need to read this file and recreate it with features, I have done this with iges or step files, by just creating the "new" features over the "dumb" solid. Then get rid of the "dumb" solid, and presto a SolidWorks file like the original "dumb" file.

Can anyone try to convert this VRML (.wrl) file to a step or iges file please?

Anyone had any problems or solutions for .wrl (VRML) files?

Thanks for any help,

Aron

Reply to
Aron Bacs, Jr.

Hi,

I have a file from a client that reads just fine with SolidView (lite version is free see:

The file will not open in SolidWorks 2006 sp3.3. The file is a valid version 2 VRML (.wrl) file. Again this file open fine with the freeware version of SoilidView.

I need to read this file and recreate it with features, I have done this with iges or step files, by just creating the "new" features over the "dumb" solid. Then get rid of the "dumb" solid, and presto a SolidWorks file like the original "dumb" file.

Can anyone try to convert this VRML (.wrl) file to a step or iges file please?

Anyone had any problems or solutions for .wrl (VRML) files?

Thanks for any help,

Aron

Reply to
Aron Bacs, Jr.

Aron,

Step and IGES contain "real" geometry, arcs. lines, splines, faces, surfaces.

VRML files are polymesh approximations consisting of triangles like STL. They make a very poor base for re-constructing.

As far as why it can't read the file, don't know. Do you get a message or error ?? Does SW lock up ?? What exactly happens ????

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

I think you find it just is taking a very long time to process? Unfortunately I don't have SW on pc yet cos I have just done a XP reinstall after 3 yrs of crud accumulation...but I think there is an option to import without healing which in my experience is significantly faster. BTW if there are many triangles your video card will bog down badly on rotate too.HTH

Reply to
neil

Hi,

Here is what SW says exactly (and in poor English I might add):

Progress... "Parsing File"

SolidWorks Box with Exclamation Point Yellow Triangle, an OK Button, and the text: Fail to open file.

(Note that these first two things happen instantly when I click open)

I then click OK

SolidWorks Box with Exclamation Point Yellow Triangle, an OK Button, and the text: Failed to process file, may be empty file or contain unsupported geometry types, etc.

I then click OK

Then it asks me if I want to do import diagnostics...

In spite of the fact that I have unchecked the box in options while opening the file originally.

This file (as well as every other VRML i.e. *.wrl file) reads fine in SolidView Lite, so at least I can view it.

I wish to use it for getting the proportions correct, not getting exact dimensions, so extreme accuracy is not needed.

And as far as my system stats: 3GHz, P4, 2G RAM, NVIDIA FX1100, SW 2006, SP3.1 I think you find it just is taking a very long time to process?

Reply to
Aron Bacs, Jr.

hmmm not sure what's wrong. Either SW06 has problems or it doesn't like something about the file.If you have access to original file can you save as STL or VRML 1 and try those instead. I have tried to import some legitimate VRML from other programs before and had problems too. SW seems quite fussy - maybe it is only partially compliant or overly compliant with stds?... I don't know Solidview Lite - does it have any measure capability? maybe you can view your model and make a SW file without importing it....or maybe you make top,side ,front images and use those in SW for reference pics?

Reply to
neil

Hi,

Do not have access to anything but the file I have :-(

But, SolidView does have the ability to measure in the 15 day trial mode, so I best get going :-)

I also like your suggestion about making top, side, front. etc. images for reference... sounds like a winner!

I will see whatever else I can try, via any more freeware converters for vrml to anything else that SW can read.

Thanks for your help and great suggestions,

Aron

Reply to
Aron Bacs, Jr.

He's gotten you worried (yet again), I should then assume ???

Heh.....

Reply to
PrecisionMechanical

BTW I think I have also had a problem like this if the import units are too big and then SW refuses it - might want to check that out too...and SW does not support VRML2 textures either. best of luck with your mission :o)

Reply to
neil