SW 2006 and 2005

Hi,

The problem I have is that I work on SW2006 and have SW2005 at home. I know that 2005 cant read 2006 files.

Are there any ways that I can read a 2006 model with my 2005 version.

I know if I convert them to iges or step. But I want to continue to edit the model. So editing the designtree is crucial.

Reply to
john gaskell

Easiest route would be to load 2006 at home

Kev

john gaskell wrote:

Reply to
alphawave

Wish I had a nickel for every time that question was asked.

I'll bet this is the number one enhancement request .

john gaskell wrote:

Reply to
TOP

Nope.

WT

***
Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Yep. Asked alot. Should have been implemented a long time ago. I know SolidWorks is alot more complicated than Excel or Word, but at least an older version of Excel/Word allows you to open newer files. If the document has a feature that is not supported by the older version, then it should tell you its not possible to open. SolidWorks doesnt even try to do this. If I make a simple flat sheetmetal part with 1 hole in it, why cant I open it in an older version. Im not using any fancy features.

If anything, it should at least give you the option to convert it to a solid or other file format (When openinig the file)

Reply to
SW Monkey

None of the parametric solid modelers will let you save to an older version. The only solid modeler that would let you open newer files into an older version was Cadkey but it would strip out the solids information and leave you with wireframe.

All the others just tell you its from a newer version and can't be opened.

I wonder if users would accept buying an add-in for this? As a user who pretty much stays current, I wouldn't want my subscription fees going into the effort. An add-in could could work with older versions (as old as the current development tools, however old they are), and it would generate some revenue for SW to replace the income lost to users who don't upgrade.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Barenboym tried to market a product that did just that. They had a test version that worked for simple features (read later files into an earlier version). Nothing seemed to happen with it, whether there just wasn't any financial momentum behind the idea or it was bought off by SW Corp and killed. If people aren't willing to buy support and upgrades, why would they buy software to do an incomplete job of working around the issue? This is, after all, a marketing requirement and not a technical limitation as SW insists. If they wanted to do it, I'm sure there would be no barrier.

For me and my business, staying on top of things is a differentiator. I welcome the business that people stuck on 2004 send my way.

Matt

Reply to
mjlombard

I forgot about that. I remember now that it was fairly limited in what it could handle.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I wonder how an older version of excel will handle opening an excel

2007 file that has data in extra columns that it now has. Excel now is limited to like 256 columns...Excel 2007 is suppoosed to increase that to around 1600. Will it strip it off with a warning? Or just fail to open that file?

I'd think that the best we might see in the future is possibly just the option to save it back to an older version but with no features. Kind of like exporting a parasolid, then reimporting, just fewer steps.

I don't think people realize the programming effort this requires. Imagine all the things a save back function would have to check for. Features that didn't exist, options on existing features that didn't exist, etc.

I think a save back option would be way less than perfect, and be such a headache to users that they wouldn't bother with it. Solidworks would be bombarded with calls about how it doesn't work.

Hell, I get errors on models that get converted to the new version...imagine the nightmare of it saving back.

Reply to
Jason