SW 2006 on XBox 360?

If you were able to install SW 2006 on an xbox 360, would it perform well?

It uses 3 CPU's 3.2GHz dual thread each...6 threads simultaneouly!

Sounds like a great machine for CAD / FEA / Reverse Engineering / CAM / Mathematica etc.

Reply to
haulin79

SW will only use one thread and one processor. We just upgraded to dual core and no effect.

Reply to
TOP

That's fine with me, at least we'll have 5 other threads to do FEA, CFD, CAM and World of Warcraft all at the same time :) SW2006 on $399 xbox...just doing a little dreaming. haha

It sure looks like it can beat the two-thread $2000+ workstati> SW will only use one thread and one processor. We just upgraded to dual

Reply to
haulin79

Questionable? If I read the press correctly the Xbox uses the new ATI R520 'radeon' core. .. which I'm always getting told doesn't support the internals for SW ... to bad though the 360 does do cool graphics...

jb...

Reply to
jb

Not a bad point. I wonder if the NENastran boys would compile the nastran.exe for the XBox? Transfer a text file in and a binary out. Display on Windoze. The only other issue is memory. Models that size will be asking for 8Gb of RAM. Is it 64 bit?

Reply to
TOP

SolidWorks does take advantage of multiple threads. It is somewhat limited in its advantages since the processes are highly linear, however there are many things happening at once. Wether you have a single HT (hyperthreaded) processor or multiple processors, solidworks will take advantage of it when it can.

FYI - Photoworks is almost 1:1 with performance increase per added processor. X-BOX 360 would be an awesome photo rendering machine.

Cadguru

Reply to
cadguru

If 2% improvement is what you mean by somewhat limited then, yes, SW does take advantage. You have to put it in perspective. SW addins like PhotoWorks, CosmosWorks and perhaps FloWorks will use all the processor you can give it. But even in the case of PhotoWorks, it only uses multiple threads when rendering. Prior to rendering even it is single threaded and this can really slow it down. Try rendering a moderate sized assembly.

I think X-Box IS a photo rendering machine, although it is optimized more for fast frames than lots of triangles. It needs fast memory, not a lot of memory.

Reply to
TOP