Re: Slow mouse reactions on SW 2006

It's because those applications are supported by the Graphics Card manufacturer on those cards and they will fix issues with those drivers if
there is a problem with any of the supported applications. If ATI is called with a problem that is experienced in SolidWorks because of the drivers on their Radeon card, they will not fix the issue because ATI does not support that application on the Radeon. That is the big advantage to using a workstation class product, and that is why people recommend the more expensive, but historically more reliable, workstation class products for workstation class app use. This is also why these cards will stay on the application vendors certification lists longer.
Ken

Case in point, read the thread "repairing a save bodies failure". You'll see why most of us in this group consider Matt to be a treasure. You could learn a lot from him, if you would bother to listen. No doubt we could learn from you, but quite a few people aren't listening any more. Lighten up, it's not like anyone is going to give you a gold medal for scoring points here.
Not to be picky about the who thing or to dismiss what Matt may have done for you in the past but he was not very helpful for me and started right in on being dismissive with a response "you should have known better". I believe I have only been here once or twice before years ago so if I just caught Matt on a bad day, then that is to bad but even after an informitive, non-confrontational response he continued with how I was full of BS when I solved my problem and then snowballed from there by him continually trying to find fault with me rather than accept that I have found a solution for my issue.

I have nothing to gain by getting sucked into this, and no hope that anything I post is going to help this fellow. He and his evil twin have gained spots on my plonk list, so I won't see/respond to flames.
Anyway, he seemed to have had this problem before, and has received the same advice:

So, he should have known better than to try it again because he has heard it before. Having heard it again, he still doesn't accept it.
The argument that you have to change graphics cards every year is simply wrong. Also suggesting that you can't run other office applications with a card that works for SolidWorks is crazy. Tens of thousands of people do this sucessfully. Choose a good workstation card and keep on top of the drivers. Ive got a 4 year old machine where the low-end card Quadro 500 has never been changed, and never been an issue. The computer industry changes fast, and staying with one non-recommended card is inexcusable, specious bawling notwithstanding.
I'm still unsure about what his argument is. If it's simply that Radeons work well with SW, well, he's welcome to that opinion. I don't know anyone who shares it, including SW Corp.
Matt
<< he seemed to have had this problem before >>
I have never said that I have had this problem before and that is where you made a mistake and jumped the gun and started snowballing because you would not acknowledge your mistake. Even that nutcase Roland had to look back two years for a post where I had an issue and even there there was no mention of a video problem because it was a problem with the SW holding licenses up.
<< argument that you have to change graphics cards every year is simply wrong >>
Is it or is it not true that SW only has a limited amount of video cards and very specific driver version listed as "certified" - yes. Do cards or drivers fall off the list each year or certified driver versions - yes. Was or was not the first thing you said something about getting a new video card - yes. Did you continue to say this even after the problem was solved - yes. Is there any way for me to determine NOW what card SW will commit to for say 3 years - NO. You are lucky that whatever card you are using has been certified for a few years - just lucky.
<< I'm still unsure about what his argument is >>
Well lets see what my beef could be. Rather then suggest any help I get this:
<< you should know better than to still buy ATI cards >>
If anything, if I can get this card to work with a program as picky as SW and still work flawlessly with my other applications it is more of an insentive to keep the card line.
<< The machine you spec'ed was bargain basement home internet box >>
In a year what ever machine you are working on now will also look like a bargain basement Internet box. Or do you buy new machines as fast as you buy video cards for Solidworks? The link you posted for a machine you advised me to buy was way cheaper that what I bought this box for so I can only imagine that if you made the decision at the same time I purchased this box you would have purchased that what I got or less.
<< You sound like an IT person who got caught not paying attention >>
This is exactly what I am taking about. Even after I solved the problem with no help from you and without throwing away a good investment that works with everything else, rather than accept the fact that the issue was solved you continue to try to insist that nothing else other than what you use could possibly work. So if your not using it or approve it then it can't be good?
So, I solved a problem but rather than accept and learn from the solution you chose to ignore and undermine the solution. Who really needs to learn to listen here?

Let it go man.... everybody that's ever going to agree with you already does...

When a card is not listed with a newer version of SW, it just means that the card wasn't tested, not that it is necessarily bad. As I said a long time ago, it would be nice if SW had the resources to test every card with every version, but I think most of the people here would rather that they put that effort into fixing bugs.

SW probably pushes the envelope on video cards. That bothers you, but it doesn't seem to bother many other people in the group. A lot of us buy recommended cards. The odds are probably higher that a recommended card will still work in three years than a non-recommended card.

Matt can be pretty single-minded some times. Perhaps he isn't listening as well as he could. (Since he has blocked your posts, I guess he isn't listening at all anymore.) But he has a long history in the group and most of us find him to be a tremendous resource. If you put more effort into listening and less into defending your actions, you would be money ahead.