questions re new computer

I am about ready to get a new computer. I would like to go with an AMD Althion Fx53 processor, and Asus motherboard. I would also like to be able to do some video editing on the computer.

Would I be able to use an ATI All in Wonder 9800 Graphics card for both?, or would I also need to put in a PCI board for CAD. I plan to be using CADKEY

21.5, Chief Architect 9, and Solidworks.

Any coments or help would be gratefully accepted.

Reply to
Sam Soltan

You might investigate using a Quadro or a FireGL with the ATI tuner card added to that. Is there a reason you need to use the AIW instead of a tuner add-on?

Reply to
Dale Dunn

Reply to
kellnerp

Whatever you do get an XI Computer I have bought two and seriously love them. I know people who are happy also.

. check cadalyst website for reviews.

Mike Grant

I'll second that.

I went shopping for a new machine, our company wouldn't let us build one, I looked at Dell, Boxx, Xi, and a few others. Xi got our money and work is almost fun again.

Until very recently Nvidia cards were just about *the* card if you wanted reliability and quality. SWX is sort of persnickity about graphics cards.

2¢ Whit

Mike Grant wrote:

Reply to
hayduke

I would like to be able to do some video editing and have a tv on the 'puter in order to save some space. The type of work I would do on the various CAD packages are lesson plans for my students. I would not be doing very intensive CAD projects.

I have taught traditional board drafting in NYC at Stuyvesant HS and Brooklyn Tech. HS many years ago. I have been teaching Industrial Technology (Ind. Arts ((shop))) at the middle school level for the past ten years. I teach TV Broadcasting, traditional Wood and Metal class, and a 6th grade intro to tech class where we touch on cad for 2 weeks.Two years ago I started the process of implimenting a middle school CAD class, last summer I went for training with our vendor and piloted the program this year. We are using CadKey v19.

My new class schedule has me teaching an introduction to Engineering Graphics Class at the high school where they are using CadKey v21.5. I own this but need to purchase a new computer as the desktop I have died and my laptop is not powerfull enough.

Is the FireGL a PCI card?? I know that the ATI AIW card is an AGP card.

Reply to
Sam Soltan

[...]

I don't know if any of the modern workstation graphics card are available in PCI. I don't know if it will matter.

According to

the Radeon 9800 Pro works with some limitations, but is not certified for SW. The AIW 9800 should work as well as the corresponding Radeon.

It seems that you plan for your CAD work to take a back seat to video editing, so maybe you can tolerate the headaches. If yo uwant the CAD work to go smoothly, I'd recommend not trying to use the AIW. Get a FireGL or Quadro (not NVS) and use the ATI add-on tuner card with that (only one video card). There are other add-on tuners out there too, that should work with most video cards.

Reply to
Dale Dunn