Computer desks

My company is kind of cheap but I am looking for some options of computer desks. Give me all price ranges and what you use or have found to like. I have deul monitors and I want something ergonomic. I will buy it if I have to.

Thanks, Mike Grant

Reply to
Mike Grant

Here are a few links... (I prefer corner desk)

Corner Computer Desk section)

Paul Salvador

Reply to
John Kimmel

Man you are one of the guys that rocks at Beta testing, good job, keep up the good work.

Mike Grant

LOL! I wish I had more time, it's a nice release. And, the two Stefan's are eating everyone's lunch in beta points!! It's just not fair!! 8^)

..

Mike Grant wrote:

Paul Salvador

Damn guys that just sounds crazy do you like it? I have an old 70's desk but I would say yours sounds worse. I guess yours is at least height adjustable.

Reply to
Mike Grant

LOL,

I'm with you John. I really do use a door, except that I have it on top of a couple of filing cabinets. I use the cinder blocks in the corner with some old boards to store my catalogs.

jk

Reply to
jk

You'll never have what you really want until you build it yourself...

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I talked to my computer guy and he siad that the doors on cinder blocks is what some design firms do and that they look and work real nice. I couldn't picture that before and would still like to see this. He said that the doors are real think and solid and look nice. I just don't know about the cinder blocks, don't they look funny?

Reply to
Mike Grant

Get some fancy "architectural" blocks. Every one will respect you then.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

if you get the right size, they're really handy for holding CD's and zip disks.

jk

Reply to
jk

Thats what another friend said, wow the things you can learn. I first laughed about a door now I am configuring one for myself.

Reply to
Mike Grant

Hi Mike,

have a look at

Especially the HELOS-System rocks! (HELOS = Highest Ergonomic Level for Office Systems) I saw the System on several fairs, .. great. I´d love to have such a CAD-desktop! It´s absolute high quality, also the price ;-)

Cheers

Jochen

"Mike Grant" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:40d0e7f2$1 snipped-for-privacy@news.vic.com...

Reply to
J.R.

The hole for the doorknob works well for cable routing. I screwed the surge protector to the bottom side of the door, so one switch in close proximity turns everything on. I have a two-tier desk using some painted canned peaches cans and a MDF plank for the upper shelf. Add some metallic or faux finish paint and a glass top over the door for that neo-modern look. Works, cheap, and looks good.

Reply to
ms

I've used blocks in college decades back, but found I could buy a used Hamilton or Mayline drafting table with drawer sets for less than $100 used (quite awhile back).

The trick today, though, is to get a decent drafting height chair of high quality.

I personally like a desk at waist height because I can stand or sit to change my position over time. To make it really useful, though, I'ld need to have height adjustment. I do have an old Hamilton up/down/tilt mechanical table from the 50s, but my wife absconded with it for her artwork. I'ld like to find another one of those.

DUAL MONITORS: There are ergonomic arm assemblies you can by which allow you to support an LCD monitor from a flange bolted on the back of your table or on a wall. Easy to set up 2 or 3 monitors if you like. I understand if you get them all aimed right with the brightness up high you can keep warm on a chilly day;-)

See the supports at:

= Monitor holding solutions

800-524-2744 $379 for the Dual Flat Panel Arm to bolt on a table top $100 for 9110 Wall Mount Units to hold 2-5 screens also available Ergotron had/has units to hold screens from an overhead rail.

Good Luck - Bo

Reply to
Bo Clawson

If you want something that is better finish than a door, get 8'x4' chip board about 3/4" thick and then get a cherry wood laminate on a plywoodbase - usually any good wood supplier should have these in stock. You could get the cherry wood laminate on its own but this can be difficult to stick down smoothly onto 8x4 size, so get one prefitted to a thin piece of 8x4 plywood. Stick the plywood 9approx

1/4" thick onto your 8x4 chip board. This gives a great surface that can be beeswaxed waxed for that quality smell. Now you need to get some hardwood edging to cover up the edge of the 8x4 desk. This can be done very cost effectively by any good wood yard. Something aboout 1"x2"x8'2"- Mitre the ends and stick to the 4 edges of the 8x4. Let the glue set. Wax . Then place on cinder blocks.

The next time a client comes to visit and sees the great 8x4 cherrywood desk you have you can double your rate !!

It does work !!

Regards

Jonathan Stedman.

Costs as far as I can remeber - Cherrywood laminate £10, chipboard, £5, Glue - 50pence - hardwood surround inc machining - £40

Reply to
jjs