Thinking of selling my Myford

Having serious thoughts about upgrading from my ML7 now. Before I take some piccies and stick it up for sale in the usual places, any hint of interest here?

Unilikely to be cheap though, as it was restored to as new condition quite recently, with plenty of extras to go with it. And that's a proper restration btw, not a repaint.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Upgrading to what?

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

ML4 ?

Reply to
John Stevenson

I have my eye on a Mk2 Bantam. No space for anything much bigger..

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

They're not that bad...

Reply to
Peter Neill

A specific one or just one in general? Personally I'd have a Chipmaster(even a knackered variator one) if I wanted that size of lathe. I'm told that variator replacement works well with a modern vector control inverter since they do at least have a back gear.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

A specific one that may come up shortly. I have thought about Chipmasters, but most are getting a bit long in the tooth now and even the ratty ones seem to go for ridiculous prices. However having said that, a particularly pristine Chippy was up for sale north of the border just recently - looked almost brand new.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

Hi Peter, good luck with selling the Myford, with the description of the resoration you gave us you certainly should get some interest from the more knowlegeble. I will be interested in how active the market is as I may yet sell one of mine if the market place hasn't gone too "soft".

I must agree with Charles as I have always seen the Bantam as a bit of an "inbetween" lathe, between the Chipmaster (superb if in good condition and unfortunately rare these days) and the Student which I have a soft spot for as I did most of my training on them. A good Bantam though is a nice lathe even if a bit lightweight in Colchester terms; do make sure that it is a nice one though as restoration will not be as simple/cheap as the Myford. Good luck with your "upsize" I'm not yet ready to agree to "upgrade" from a good Myford :-)) VBG

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

The only two half decent machines Colchester ever made were the Chipmaster and the Magnum,especially the Chipmaster.Not a toolroom lathe in any sense of the word but a decent little lathe to use on a part time basis.The variator is it`s weak point but if you make a point of using the correct oil in it and always adjusting the speed up and down a bit every time you use it you will get good service out it. Mark

Reply to
mark

Chat Moss ???

Reply to
John Stevenson

That's Mark's special soft spot for Colchesters surely? (along with Bridgys)

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Ha, ha, very good John, as someone who rarely ventures north of Bristol it took me a little while to work out what Chat Moss was. Be fair though I didn't claim the Student was brilliant just that I had used them a lot and have become used to their many foibles. I suppose the telling point is that I haven't actually spent my own money on one. It's a bit like the old sweater I tend to wear when in the workshop, it's full of holes and has needed to be rescued from the bin a couple of times when my wife got fed up washing "that collection of holes", it's just so bl***dy comfortable though.

I know that you professionals rate Colchesters somewhat lower than we amateurs but I do think that a good one is a very reasonable "hobby" machine. While a bit irrelevant if Peter knows of a good Bantam that will be available and we all know good machines take a bit of finding and should be grabbed with both hands, most of my searching at that size was for a good Harrison M250 or M300. I found several very good ones but they were all very short on equipment and the cost of bits and pieces is frightening unless you are lucky on E-bay and I've never been lucky so didn't risk waiting.

Anyway must return to the original topic and I do believe that a well restored Myford (like Peters) would make a superb starting point for many so don't delay contact him today.

Regards

Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

That must be worth 10% of the selling price eh Keith?

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

I can see you're a successful businessman Tony, only 10%? How's a guy going to live on that?

Regards Keith

Reply to
jontom_1uk

"Anyway must return to the original topic and I do believe that a well restored Myford (like Peters) would make a superb starting point for many so don't delay contact him today."

That Peter has relatives everywhere.

Mark.

Reply to
mark

Isn't the variator rather a cool piece of engineering? Maybe a fun thing to fix rather than replace...

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

And they cost me a bloody fortune.

Seriously though, thanks for the plaudits Keith, cheque is in the post. Oddly enough as your penchant for Students comes from training on them, I did much of mine on Bantams. Whilst they don't have the huge metal removal rates that Mark needs from his machines, they are still very capable and I do remember taking a *huge* DOC on a Bantam with a ceramic bit at top speed and feed. This was late 70's/early 80's when they looked like a large asprin tablet, and we were being allowed to try them out instead of using the more usual HSS or Stellite.

Although not as rigid or speedy as a Chippy they are still good machines. Pretty robust carriage & apron, a sturdy bed if not as massive as the Chippy, and a decent spindle bore.

Much as I'd like a nice CVA as some of you lucky chaps out there have, lack of space, and finding a decent one for a decent price (like a Chipmaster) is a bit of a lottery.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Neill

On 25 Jan, 08:37, Peter Neill wrote

Don`t want to poach the thread,but,I reckon that over 50% of Colchester`s sales to industry are based on the fact that most peoples first experience of a lathe after the Boxfords and Myfords at school were on Colchesters at college. I was lucky,went to a brand new tech as the first year of apprentices to get day release in the early sixties.All the lathes were Students apart from one Town Woodhouse.After trying both,I spent my time on the Town.Nobody else used it as it`s top speed was only 460rpm as opposed to the Student`s 1200rpm.In the forty odd years since,spent,using,repairing,buying and selling lathes,nothing I have seen has caused me to change my opinion that Colchesters are crap.All the newer ones(square heads) have going for them is a good paint job,which,unfortunately often blinds the buyer to the possibility that the rest of the machine is well worn.Experience has taught me that they usually are well worn,headstocks especially. Colchester appear to have been displaced in the colleges by the BSA Foremost lathe

which although built in China to BSA`s spec are selling like hotcakes. No apologies for the plug,BSA is a good British company who`s fast,efficient and friendly service puts most companies to shame. Mark.

Reply to
mark

Come and have a play on mine if you want. If you can drag yourself away from work I'm at home on gardening leave for a couple more weeks. Problem is it might put you off a Bantam.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

You can also try mine if you like or have a look on

see my chipmaster. Regards Alan

Reply to
jackary