Cad Programs

Does anyone know of a cad program for residential builders? We have currently checked out solid builder and soft plan. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Doug:

Are you looking for a full blown cad program or one that draws pretty pictures, but isn't really set up to do construction drawings?

Reply to
Bob Morrison

Hello,

I am mainly looking for a full blown cad program that does mainly construction drawings. On the other hand, we do service our own website and it would be nice to put color to the drawings. So to answer your question, Is there a program that does both, but is mainly used for construction drawings (wall panels, floor layouts, roof layouts, etc...)?

Thanks,

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Doug:

I don't need 3D, but I do need an easy to use, fast and inexpensive 2D program. I use VisualCadd for all my structural drawings including framing plans and details.

Check it out at

and for the users group
I have to admit I'm biased because I am VP of the VCadd Users Group, but I happen to think this is a terrific, easy to learn, but very powerful CAD program.

Reply to
Bob Morrison

Doug, check out cadsoft.com and look at cadsoft build. Don't know your price range, but it was created specifically for the residential builder.

Take care, TimB

Reply to
Tim Badger

Thank you all who responded. I don't know my budget yet, but I will definitely look into both of these products.

Thanks, Doug

Reply to
Doug

You'll also want to check out Chief Architect [1]. I was a reseller in the early 90's and Chief Architect was the first commercial CAD program in the entire industry to be 'object oriented' which makes it incredibly easy to use.

The vendor ART has also licensed the software to Broderbund who sells a consumer version called 3D Home Architect which can be found on the shelves at CompUSA. The smarter residential builders I used to sell to and support would put 3D Home Architect into the hands of customers who could design or modify their floor plans which were then finished for working drawings in the professional version which was a clever way to 'build' a relationship with a customer.

I also sold a good estimating program called WinEstimator [2] which supports customization.

Reply to
clintonG

Just a question, Who is going to be doing the drawings? Is there an engineer or architect who will be signing and sealing said construction documents? Or is this just to sketch-out some details for the guys in the field?

Just something to think about BEFORE you run into your friendly local building inspector.

just my $0.02

hth,

Reply to
Brian Spillane