Proe files into Solidworks

Hi all,

Has anyone sucessful made a switch from using Proe to Solidworks. Do the models import with the features?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Reply to
toshinsky

Hi all,

Has anyone sucessful made a switch from using Proe to Solidworks. Do the models import with the features?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Reply to
Devon T. Sowell

Actually, 2004 sp1 has the Pro/E decrypter which will read Pro parts with features. Not including Wildfire files. Most of the simple parts I have used it for came in with 100% of the features, but depending on the feature types, it may only get a few of the features. Even when it won't get the features, it will get the dumb solid.

"Devon T. Sowell" wrote in news:jzTzb.9127$ snipped-for-privacy@news1.news.adelphia.net:

Reply to
matt

Tom,

Client of mine switched from ProE to SW2003/2004. Tried to convert three part models from ProE now that 2004 can decrypt ProE modles.

Results:

Simple prismatic part converted okay. Second model (plastic part) died half way thru the conversion - leaving a partial model. Third part came in with all the features identified and recreated. Tried to convert to a sheet metal part with no luck - didn't recognize any bends.

Caveats: One of the parts had a set of couterbored holes for #10 Socket Head cap screw - the feature that was created was a side profile of the counterbore which was revolved around an axis. When you edited the feature the sketch was placed in the middle of the part with the sketch hanging in the middle of nowhere (i.e. top line was not coincident with the top of the plate). Yet when of you exited the sketch the feature showed a proper cbored hole.

Don't like converters ... cause you never know what you are getting. It was faster to recreate the parts instead of spending the time figuring out what was wrong......

Len

Reply to
Len K. Mar

This is actually Pro/E behavior for hole features. Revolved holes (not the same as "cuts") are sketched independently of geometry in a different window.

Definitely a superior approach, because that's the way PTC is doing it ;)

Reply to
TheTick

Thanks Matt- I stand corrected. Because most of my clients have not switched to 2004 yet, I'm not that familiar with the new ProE translator. I do have quite a bit of experience trying to translate 2001i(?) ProE assemblies and parts into 2003 SolidWorks.

99% of these parts were constructed poorly in ProE and therefore aren't good for much of anything. Best Regards, Devon T. Sowell