Looking for a Tutorial or Presentation on "Knurling"

Can someone here please tilt me in the right direction towards a Tutorial or a Power Point Presentation on the technique of knurling ? For some reason I cannot find any literature, anywhere on the subject, other than the ones listed in the Texture utility of Solidworks, which are much too blurry and of very poor quality. There certainly must be a technique whereby a sharp knurl can be modeled. I need to model a 1" round shaft, and also I need to model a pistol grip of a revolver. I am going to follow the assumption that the principle of modeling the two would be pretty much the same. More than several of us in my Solidworks Class, would be very grateful for any information you would be willing to share with us. Karen

Reply to
kareninventress

I model knurls as features as often as I model fastener threads: NEVER! Why burden your model with 100's (1000's?) of tiny surfaces and features? If the knurl cuts have helix geometry, this is a very large burden for such a feature.

Typically for a knurl I model knurled surface at knurled diameter and use a cosmetic thread to denote knurled region and contain notes about knurl.

Reply to
That70sTick

select surface, right click, appearance> texture> metal> machined> knurl texture. imho, not for use on drawings.

Reply to
kb

That70sTick is right I would normally never model threads or knurls.

However I did for job last year where I needed to make a rendering, as I couldn't get a good image using textures. I have uploaded 2 versions of the part to my website, you will notice the version with a modeled thread and a knurl is about 12 x larger in file size at 6mb.

John Layne

John Layne