Sig Spacewalker II need info.

Hi Gang, Several of us are involved in a winter challenge project this year, proposed by a fellow club member. The challenge is simple, and it is to build a scale (can't be an ARF) project for next spring. I've done some searching and narrowed my selection down to the Sig 1/4 scale Spacewalker II. I've heard rumors that it is a nice kit, and good flyer, a good plane to transition from high wing to low wing on. Just wondering if anyone out there has any comments on this kit? Power recommendations? I'm thinking of an OS 1.20FS, Saito 1.50, or the OS 1.60 Flat twin if I win the lottery. Thanks in advance.

Tom Skoropad Thunder Bay ON

Reply to
Thomas & Erin Skoropad

I've flown mine with two different engines so far; an OS120FS and an OS108FSR. The airplane is a pussy cat if it's built correctly. It will fly fine on any of the engines you mention but it was hell-on-wheels with the OS108. It doesn't need any more ummph than the 1.20FS will give you so you can save your money to get the flat twin later.

MJC

Reply to
MJC

Mine flew just great on a Saito 1.20S so I suspect that with a 1.5 it will be wonderful!

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Years ago I built this kit and flew it with a Saito 150. Way more power than needed for my type of flying. It was a terrific kit to build and came out as one of my best planes. At that time, I used Century 21 fabric in the standard scheme but with cream in place of the yellow and a dark green in place of the red and 1/8 inch bright red monocote everywhere that the two colors met.

Reply to
Rob Plourde Jr.

My Spacewalker II was originally powered by a YS 120 - WAY TO MUCH for my kind of flying. I replaced it with an OS 91 four stroke and it and I are much happier. Of course I'm not into unlimited vertical. The Spacewalker II is a delight to fly and looks like an airplane is suppose to look. I bashed mine into a Revolution II (flat panel wind screens and no wheel pants). Basic color cream and insignia blue checkerboard on rudder and under side of wing. It's time to think about recovering it as the rustoleum over coverite fabric is beginning to show a lot of cracks. Wing was monokoted a couple of years back.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

I have had two of them. The first as powered with a OS 160 twin the current one by a magnum 160 twin. (you can always throttle back!!!) The twin sound makes the extra cost worthwhile. Flies beautifully. I used separate servos on the elevators and pull pull rudder.

Regards

Reply to
Tommy

You can get a magnum twin for not much more than a saito single,

Reply to
Tommy

Go the 1/3 scale version.......104" wing and a fantastic flier! A mate of mine (in my club) has one with a 50cc 4-stroke twin on it (a Saito I believe, but don't quote me on that) which is *way* more power than it needs, but sounds absolutely fantastic :-) It rarely gets above 1/2 thottle, but has the grunt there when it needs it for the biggest loops I've ever seen in my life :-D

MrBonk

MrBonk

I have the 1/3 scale in a kit to build sometime soon...

50cc 4 stroke Twin Saito??? I'd like to hear more about that....
Reply to
Bob Severance

I believe he's talking about the Saito 300 Twin. I have one in my 18lb Biplane which tears up the sky. I would assume that it would haul a 20lb spacewalker pretty easily. It does sound great, but can be a little loud.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

Thanks Normen......I'm almost positive that's the one. It's the twin carb version......total pain in the arse to tune apparently, but runs great when it's finally sorted. It sounds fantastic alright, but with those plain pipes for exhausts, it *is* quite loud. Mind you, our field is in the middle of nowhere, so noise is not an issue for us :-)

MrBonk

MrBonk