Electric Predator 280 or T-Hawk 380 anyone have these???

Hello

I just purchased the August/September issue of Backyard Flyer and on page

39 there is an advertisement for two ready to fly aircraft the Predator 280 "new" and the T-Hawk 380.

I was wondering if anyone out there has had any experience with either planes. In the pure "wow that looks neat" category I like the Predator over the T-Hawk. But I am not welded to that choice given a negative report from you folks out there in comparision to the T-Hawk.

Thanks for any comments and suggestions forthcoming!!!

Darrylbar

PS

I'm not a complete newbee but I've been away from the sport for about 15 years or so. My last planes were a gas powered wooden trainer (I built from a kit) and a foam electric cessna-ish clone.

Darrylbar

Reply to
Darrylbar

My father-in-law frequently flies a T-Hawk and loves it. He is an old-time flyer (well over 30years); is a member of a flying club (near Omaha, NE) and the T-Hawk is something he can just load up and go out with easily and quickly, and fly in a local park. A big plus for him is he has decided he really likes electrics! The T-hawk is relatively durable (not indestructible though) and comes with some spare parts (second wing, believe spare tail feathers too). I might add he does use the radio too that came with it rather than one of his other radios. So, yes, it might be a great way to start up in the hobby again but it might also be a big dead end.

Some other considerations if I may: Where will you go with this? Just a diversion and not full time R/C hobby? Will this be just a 3 channel trainer to be used as a Sunday or Park Flyer? Do you think it will lead to something more capable? Do you need to start off small? Will you be flying with a club or at a local park/field? Do you want/need to go Electric vice Fuel? Will you buy it sans radio and get a 72mHz band radio (with mini-components) or use the 27mHz band radio that comes in the combo? (the

27mHz works but note it is a shared RF band including ground guys so potential RFI is definitely something to consider). Decisions decisions decisions! :)

I too recently reflected over these very questions myself as I also am returning to the hobby after a 16year break. I decided that, considering what I want to do in the hobby (which is mostly fun fly and in time kit building), I should join and fly with the local R/C flying club and use their field and expertise to help me get over the initial hump (again). I also know that in the long run I want to use at least a 4 or 5 channel setup and fly fuel powered planes vice Electric. Admittedly, the cost of all this is many times greater than just starting up with the T-Hawk so I would not necessarily rule that out. Do what your comfortable with. I ended up with a Sig LT-40 ARF, powered by an OS .46AX, and a used Futaba 4channel radio. Its assembly/construction is now complete and I hope to be able to get it test flown this coming weekend (depends on the weather, my schedule, and my trainer/test pilot's schedule. I might add too I rejoined the AMA too. Good luck!

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

Hello Bruce!!!

Thanks for the information and the questions. To answer your major question and concern, for the time being I'm just looking for a easy, cheap way back into the hobby. I am about 2 minutes driving time from a good sized community park (with both baseball and football/soccer fields) so I really want a small electric park flyer. There are local clubs in the area sponsored by local RC hobby shops, but I wanted to find something I could run solo with as little difficulty as possible. I figured with my old skills, some current flight sim time, a forgiving aircraft and a little luck I would be okay.

Again thanks for the information, I'm holding on a final decision until I get some info on the Predator 280.

Thanks Again!!

Darrylbar

Reply to
Darrylbar

Hey, before you commit on anything check out the Multiplex Easy Star. Made from elapor foam which is a very tough foam that can take lots of abuse. The plane supposedly is very stable and "wants to fly". Great beginner/re-learner plane. Click on this link to rcgroups.com for a lot of messages pertaining to the EZ*:

. A discussion thread in the "foamies forum" has been going on there for the last 3+ years with several thousand messages pertaining to this plane, you'll know when you see one of the threads because the title will say something like " Multiplex Easy Star....thread 3"....it's actually up to thread 8 now . There's also a lot of other threads pertaining to the EZ*.

The plane is somewhat of an electric glider...it's known to thermal well and even slope well. It's also capable of aerial photography! Good thing about elapor foam is that if something breaks CA/superglue it back together and be back flying in 5 minutes! Lots of modifications and tweaks discussed and implemented by folks in the foamie forum on rcgroups. Price for the 3ch RTF version runs less than $200 including shipping, it's comes with a transmitter. The kit version comes with only the motor...you supply receiver, servos, electronic speed controller w/BEC, batteries, and a transmitter. Price on the kit is around $65 plus shipping. I'm just starting out and received my "box" via FedEx today. I opted for the kit version. I purchased a Hitec Flash 5x to go with it. This way when the time comes to move on to another plane I'll have some good hardware to migrate to the new plane rather than some proprietary stuff that really can't be moved well. I have a Spectra Select patiently waiting in the box until I feel I'm "good enough" for it :) Be aware that going the "kit" route will cost more money, but you'll have equipment that you can use again.

Here's a good link for information, specs, pictures, etc., on the plane.

BTW, I'm a newbie starting on my own. I fly in a hayfield across the road from my house. My main focus is primarily electric and gliders. I don't see myself moving on to nitro. The only flying I've done so far has been with one of those RTF $60 Shun Da planes you can get on eBay. They leave a bit to be desired...heavy, weak-winged, odd transmitter setup, etc. But, they are pretty tough...and patch up good with strapping tape. What it did for me was let me find out if I truly wanted to fly remote control airplanes. It also has let me bang up a cheap plane...learning along the way. I'm hooked and I've learned several things...I'm really looking forward to getting the Easy Star in the air!!!

Best wishes on your decision, and remember....it's all about having fun!!! Ed Welch South Alabama

Reply to
intheswamp00