GP Diesels

Hi, Gosh, I hate to be such a pest, but I just can't seem to be able to make up my mind as to the locomotive I should buy for my layout!

I've decided against steam, and for diesel, and I like the looks of the GP's. Of all the General Purpose Diesels,(GP's), which would be the shortest in length. It's possible that none of the GP's a short enough....and I may have to go with another style....SW7?

Thanks so much, Mike

Reply to
Michael P Gabriel

The GP series were the same length as the F units - that is how much space lengthwise that is needed for the parts of the loco. The early GP-7 and 9 were the shortest with the locos up to the GP-35 being only slightly longer. If you really need a short loco, the switchers are what you are going to be needing but remember that those locos really didn't go out onto the mainline as they weren't geared for mainline running.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works every time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

Mike,

The GP7 through GP35 all had the same wheelbase(about 1 ft longer that the standard F unit). Starting with the '40' line, EMD lengthened the GP series by 3 ft. The shortest GP has to be the GP15-1, this was produced in the 70's/80's time frame. Walthers has a model of it in their 'Trainline' series of RTR models.

The SW7 & SW1200 all have the same wheelbase, and they are shorter than the GP's.......

Another good choice for small 4 axle 'road' power is the Also RS1 - Atlas has a very good running model available. The RS1 was basically an Alco S-2 switcher with an extra hood behind the cab and larger 'road' trucks.

Jim Bernier

Michael P Gabriel wrote:

Reply to
Jim Bernier

GP7's and 9's should be your shortest. 18's and 20's are built on about the same frame, and may be the same length as well. Anything much beyond a GP20 will be noticably longer.

Reply to
Slingblade

with another style....SW7?

How tight are your corners? Is that the issue?

Reply to
Biggus

go with another style....SW7?

Yeah really. Any one of the Geeps on the market should take an 18" radius curve. I used to run a pair of Athearn SD40-2s through #4 turnouts on our club layout, and even that was doable. That could definately be a problem. _______________________________________________________ This email scanned by Norton AntiVirus Drew Bunn Ainsley Specialized Transport Toronto, Ontario Canada bunn snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Drew Bunn

the rollong stock fits into the mission plan of my Wishbone Shortline privatly (Co-OP), owned by the surrounding ranchers, farmers and industries. The unit will only pick up outbound cars from sidings and set them out on a staging track for pickup by the the big diesel from out of town. And that same deisel will pick up incoming cars from the staging area and delivered to the local businesses. So I decided on an SW 3, Southern PAcific. (Atlas, $.66.71)

Thanks all for the great help and the great ideas and the great factual info...I'd be lost without this group!!! Mike Picture Rocks, AZ

Reply to
Michael P Gabriel

indecisive scumbag aren't you

Reply to
Marty Hall

Well there is a new one, Picture Rocks AZ, now just where is that little town. Marty Hall

Reply to
Marty Hall