Station signs and waiting rooms

Hello everyone, I am building a model of a railway station during the

50s and I have a couple of questions:

First of all and most importantly, say there was a sign suspended from a canopy roof, such as the one at Leicester central, here:

photo down) and the sign indicated that there were toilets, both ladies and gents through a nearby door, indicated by the arrow. Does anyone know of any instances where this arrangement was in place, and what wording was used on the sign? I suspect it was 'Ladies and Gentlemen', however the sign's intended meaning may not be quite clear with that wording.

The second question pertains to waiting rooms. If a first class waiting room existed at a medium-large sized provincial station, (say, Appleby or larger [Appleby had one in fact]) was it likely that there was also a separate waiting room provided for the ladies traveling first class, or would the (smaller volume of) female passengers be expected to share the 3rd and later 2nd class ladies' waiting rooms. If any particular details on what type of waiting accommodation was provided for differnent stations and why, I'd like to hear.

The answers to these questions will help me to more realistically plan my station layout, as well as satisfy some curiosities. I have a great interest in the architecture and logistics of the railways.

Thanks alot

Reply to
Eric R Zadro

"TOILETS"?

Reply to
MartinS

"Abandon sense of smell all ye who enter here"

-- Brian "What's the point in growing up if you can't behave like a kid when you want to."

Reply to
Brian Watson