Gorre and Daphetid

No, but you did miss the universally accepted standard that if you run down someone elses work and claim that you can do better, you had best be prepared to back up your statement with proof. I say to you flatly, prove to us you are a good modeller or your opinions will hold no weight.

You are at the old "put up or shut up" stage. Prove what you say or do not say anything.

Reply to
wannandcan

early without dinner. Oh, and SHUT UP!!!!

Reply to
Michael P Gabriel

I fear that something close to 90% of model railroaders have never even HEARD of John Allen.

That fraction is MUCH smaller among 'serious' model railroaders, maybe more like 60%. for the younger bunch and 20% for the older. I meed decent modelers often who don't know who he was.

Sadly, John Allen and his creations are mostly ancient history to the majority of model railroaders today. That does not diminish his contribution to the hobby, in it's time frame.

Dan Mitchell ==========

Mark Newt>

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

I vote YES to your poll, ... but I don't see THAT as the question being debated.

The actual question is more like:

Did John Allen's G&D of 1960 compare favorably with today's better model railroads?

My answer to that is NO, but who cares. The G&D was pivotal in the development of the hobby. The G&D was not 'mainstream' even in it's time, and certainly not today. It included a LOT of whimsy, and was indeed more of an art form than an accurate depiction of railroading. It also pioneered a LOT of ideas and techniques we often take as near gospel nowadays. It's great for what it WAS, within it's time frame, and for it's contribution towards what we have today for a model railroading hobby.

Dan Mitchell ==========

Brian Paul Ehni wrote:

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

I have the following book up for auction at EBay:

Model Railroading with John Allen By Linn H. Wescott

144 pages Published in 1982 by Kalmbach Books

The story of the fabulous HO scale Gorre & Daphetid Railroad. This book is everything there is to know about one master written by another. A chance to get hold of the story of one of the best model railroads ever. Full of colour photos of all of the various stages of the railroad as it grew. There are two of these listed on Amazon.com at $299 (hardback version). So what is this softback version worth? It is in good condition with no obvious faults although the cover has curled a little with age.

You can see it at:

David

Reply to
David Pennington

snipped-for-privacy@CreditValley.Railway wrote: >>

As if I give a toss what a novice in Canada thinks. And as if I'll accede to your demands that I "prove" anything. LOL!!! I could send you photos from anywhere or anybody, and you'd be none the wiser. They wouldn't constitute "proof" of anything. Grow up.

In that case, you'd better warm up the old killfile, matey.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Jawohl, Herr Gauleiter!!!

Reply to
Mark Newton

You may be right Mark, since there is nothing of value in 90% of your posts, except to criticize other peoples work, while providing no proof that you know what is good or bad. Or can do 40% as good yourself.

You have in the past criticised Terry Flynn's work. I checked out his website and other than the fact the scenery is a little spartan compared to the area I will be modelling. I would not critisize him as the scenery may be spot on for the area he is depicting.

I have found your layout severly lacking and very one dimensional. When you get something more than thoughts and dreams, feel free to share with use your artisty. I will leave it up to Terry or someone else to let me know if and when you do create something. Because as of this moment you go into the "Bozo-Bin" you are only the second one there, Mr. Rathburne was first.

Reply to
wannandcan

Ok, go ahead. I'm guessing somebody in the ng will recognize it and call you on it but, give it a shot.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Paul Newhouse wrote: >>

Couldn't be arsed. As I've repeatedly stated, I'm not going to all the trouble of posting photos or creating a website just to satisfy a couple of wankers like Will and Flynn, the bed-wetting twins.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Post to alt.binaries.pictures.rail no need for a wb site. We are all just interested in looking at another layout. Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Then look at someone else's. The more you try to persuade me, the more determined I am not to comply with your "request".

Reply to
Mark Newton

Paul, we just have to accept the fact that Mark has nothing he feels is worth showing. Also the fact he has the need to debase himself to name-calling is further proof that both Terry and I have hit a raw nerve with Mark.

Reply to
wannandcan

Reply to
Gregory Procter

A great *big* thumbs up here.

Reply to
Rick Jones

So far, that makes it 16 - zip.

And the guy who said it wasn't (though he has responded to other posts during this time) has yet to vote either way.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

buk buk buk bawwwk!

Don't bother to reply via email...I've been JoeJobbed.

Reply to
Jeff Sc.

Is that the sound of backpeddling at mach+ ???

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Now, Jeff, don't be hard on Mark. He is a victim of human nature. You see, if you have studied human nature you will have found two universal constants.

  1. If someone creates something they are proud of, they wish to show everyone their achievement.
  2. If you have created something that you are not proud of, you do not want anyone to see it, in fact, you will defend it, but not let anyone see it.

These are two universal constants, they do not change because of race or nationality, they are 100% constant.

You see what has happened here, a young man has claimed something, but then looked around and seen the quality of others work, and is now not so proud of his accomplishments, but he will defend them. Just that he will not show them as he would be humiliated if he did.

So I say, let's leave young Mark alone, give him time to improve on his craft and maybe one day he will create something that he is truly proud of and will want to show the world he can do it.

Reply to
wannandcan

Paul, as I told Jeff, we should leave young Mark aloone to practice and maybe some day he will create something he is proud of and will want others to see it. Until then, he will use his imagination to convince himself his layout is better than John Allen's or maybe Lin Wescott's. I bet it is not as good as Paul Templar's or Brian Fayle's either. Can't be as all those fellows have shared their creation with others.

Reply to
wannandcan