Gorre and Daphetid

Boilers, even modern gas-fired water tube types, are expensive to maintain, whether computer controlled or not.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Don, I think we are forgetting one important feature here, we in North America are spoiled. High Speed internet, free webspace provided by our ISPs. You are forgetting where Mark lives. He might be correct, it may be difficult for him to learn how to create and put up a website. It might also be difficult for him to view some of the graphic enriched North American websites.

Usenet has been around for years, I was using it back in the 80s. For all we know, Mark might be on 2400baud dialup using a 486 computer. After all, he is in Australia. How advanced are they? I don't know, do you?

Reply to
wannandcan

I never saw his "nay".

Oh, well.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Can't speak about Mark's internet prowess but, there a lot of Australians right in the middle of the electronic world. A lot of good solid *ix contributors. Some of them are very well connected.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Thanks for the info Paul, I really don't know much about IT in Australia. I have enough to do to keep up to things here in Canada. Also to keep track of what all my clients are running. I have one client who still uses a Tandy

1000. Two weeks ago I had to find a 5 1/4" drive for him. seems his engraving machine only works on the TandyOS and it is my job to see that his antique still functions.
Reply to
wannandcan

One has been. Now we have to see how the trip planning turns out. The current August/September trip was originally planned for June. January has been moving accordingly.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

Then, hopefully, you see nothing wrong with using oldfashioned equipment as long as it does the job it is intended to.

Reply to
Erik Olsen

You are correct, Erik, and that is why I was saying we should not think that everyone has the same capabilities when it comes to handling the new digital photography.

Reply to
wannandcan

That's a stretch and you know it.

Mark's hobby is shooting off his mouth.

Don

Reply to
Trainman

Perhaps I should follow your example, Don, and develop an interest in cathouses.

Reply to
Mark Newton

I'm not Will but, I agree. As long as you aren't using your refusal to upgrade as an excuse. IOW it really is doing the job. Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

There is nothing wrong with using 486's. There are many useful and important functions that they can perform. The only reason I upgraded my firewall/router to a P266, from a 486, is that putting the 266 on the shelf just seemed silly. So now the 486 is on the shelf, powered down and gathering dust. Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

I agree Paul, there is nothing wrong with using older equipment as long as it does the job for the user. I was merely stating that we sometimes take for granted that all users will be using new equipment just because our circle of friends do.

My response was actually directed toward Terry and a couple of others, including me, who wants that young fellow from Australia to post pictures on a forum. I was suggesting that maybe his equipment was not up to par. Also maybe he is using equipment at his school and cannot upload files.

I would hazard a guess from the young man's mastery of the language and the fact that when ever he gets into deeper discussions and starts to look like he is losing, he resorts to name calling, that he is fact a young high school student who has not reached full maturity yet. it is due to this low maturity level that I have placed him in my killfile and don't even see his messages anymore.

Reply to
Bill Annand

Right, and some may even chose to use oldfashioned photographical equipment in order to achieve superior results.

Reply to
Erik Olsen

I also have a 486 that I use for DOS applications but not much else. The current need for a firewall and anti-virus software when connected to the internet is making it too slow, alas.

Reply to
Erik Olsen

Although that cannot be said anymore Erik. With the release of the new high end Minolta, Nikon and Canon digital cameras, digital photography has equalled film based systems as far as quality is concerned and passed them as far as ease of use from shot to print is concerned.

Even my friends who are professional photographers are saying that finally digital has surpassed film based systems. All of them say that their next purchase will be a digital camera. you can just do more with them.

Reply to
Will

Regarding maturity it seems that a few older users in this group also have not reached full maturity, and perhaps never will.

You might also killfile me as my mastery of the English language is probably not up to your level (I'm sure you are aware that I'm a foreigner). It says nothing of my level of maturity, however.

Reply to
Erik Olsen

Should be fine for packet routing and light filtering. Unless you are using M$ gunk on it. Fireplug, Dubbele, something like that should make fine use of a 486. I'm talking SOHO level usage.

This is like a real application, along with an MTA, and will drag your

486 down to a crawl. This should be running on your mail serving host ... a 486 is probably not a good choice there.

Running heavy application stuff will swamp it ... yes!

Should work fine driving a small display for a turntable!!! Someday I'll get that project far enough along to verify that. *8-D

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

That may be so but high-end digital cameras are just too pricey for me. I'll probaly wait purchasing one until they get oldfashioned and I will be able to pay for it.

Reply to
Erik Olsen

Erik, I see no need for you to be in my killfile. People only get sent to my killfile under two circumstances.

  1. like Mr. Rathburn, NONE of their posts make sense or most are not on topic.
  2. like Mr. Newton, the language in the posts is reduced to derogatory name calling.

Your posts fit into neither category, so no need to fear.

Reply to
Will