Need parts from a KC-97 kit...

Heya folks!

I've got an RB-50G kit from Academy that I'd like to turn into something really unusual/weird. Back in 1965 my dad was stationed at Plattsburg AFB in NY. One day they had an unusual bird come into the SAC base... He says it was a B-29 look-a-like, and someone told him it was an RB-50. A friend of his was a plane spotter and took a picture of him in front of it. Shortly thereafter a bunch of SP's showed up and gave them a serious grilling about what they were doing around the plane. They blew it off, never thought of it again. My dad has the b/w photo (definitely not faked) of him in front of a camoflaged B-50. It is gloss black up to about

3/5-2/3 of the way up the fuselage, with what looks like it is SIOP or SEA on top (like the B-52's in Vietnam). The numbers are probably red, and the four digits start with an 8/6 then a 14 then what is either an 8/6/3. My dad is about 50 feet from the front left corner with the camera pointing towards the wing/fuselage joint with the cockpit glass at the upper left of the frame.

My dad SWEARS that it had jets outboard, not fuel tanks or anything similar. So, I'm looking for a pair of jet engines from one of the KC-97L kits.

I'd love to build a kit of this aircraft and show it with the photo. And no, don't ask me to post the photo to alt.binaries.* because I have no alt.binaries access! Dammit... Also, don't ask for a copy of the photo, Dad is very particular about it now that he knows it's pretty damned unusual.

Among other things, he says it had crap loads of antennae, lots of wires on it and says that the flat pane for the bomb- adier was painted over. I suppose that this makes sense if it's only on some sort of ELINT mission.

My guess (and Dad's) is that it's some USAF relic that had been seconded to the CIA/NSA for some sort of missions in SEA and had to cycle through the US and needed to stop for fuel at Plattsburgh AFB (a SAC base at the time) and figured that security would be better there.

He never saw the plane leave and it was gone thenext day. If anyone can throw any light on this baby it'd be greatly appreciated!

-andyh

Reply to
Drew Hill

Hey Andy, Sounds like you dad saw a KB-50J (or K)

Check out these links:

?aircraft_genericsearch=3DBoeing=%20B-50%20Superfortress%20(345)&distinct_entry=3Dtrue and this one, especially the last paragraph"

zzpops